Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History, Technology, and Trivia

I built a peanut scale free flight model of one from a Peck-Polymers kit, a long time ago. It flew very well. We'd love to see yours fly, sometime, maybe. I couldn't get your link to open. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Sabin, I was wrong. It was a Luton Minor. It looked very similar.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here is a photo of the Luton Minor.[br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

For some reason I can never get links to work on this site. It always works on RCGroups or iBoats.com.
Back to the top

Are you using the "post reply" blue button and selecting the link icon for including your link or just pasting it into the reply to thread box? So you have the first rib built; when are you going to build the rest and whatsit for? BTW, Flying Scale Models is a neat magazine. Buy one from time to time at Barnes and Noble in GJ.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I'm using the blue button at the bottom, then clicking the link icon. The rib was just a display thing I did, should I do something special with it.
Back to the top

Sounds like you're using the right method to plant the link into the post. Dunno why it's giving you fits. as for the rib…it reminds me of having to build ribs like that many years ago when I was getting my A&P license. I've been away from all that for so long now that I don't remember much detail at all.

Back to the top

I had a neighbor a number of years ago who was building an EAA biplane in his garage. He was building the rib for it like that. He had fixed a jig for them and could only lay up one a day, so it was taking him a long time to get the wings done. He finally got it finished after we had moved away. I saw it in the air once when we were passing by an airport in another town.
Back to the top

One of these ribs? [br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Yep. Very much like that.
Back to the top

In 1958 the Coast Guard experimented with towing of disabled ships, boats, etc. using Sikorsky HO4S helicopters. Some of the vessels towed were quite large, 704 tons. Two or three helicopters were lost during this program which ended in 1964. Can you imagine being a crew member on one of those helicopters? A flying vehicle is just not supposed to tug something like a ship. Imagine a towline break and how that would impact the control of the heli?

Back to the top

You mean like this?[br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Now that's just crazy!!
Back to the top

Not much rotor clearance if the item gets hung up slightly. What is that thing they're pulling?

Back to the top

Looks like they're pulling a hovercraft.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.