Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

Aviation triva

I take it they never found his remains. Isn't the armament array in the wings pretty odd? I wonder why they didn't make left and right wings identical? It's pretty clear that the 4 machine guns in that arrangement were not going to be all that effective once the airplane was actually in combat.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Aviation triva

I guess at the time when they started the design work, that armament was acceptable. No, they never found his airplane. It went down over the water.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

According to the info I have got, when the XF4U-1 first flew it had 2 machine guns in the nose synched to the prop and one 50 cal in each wing. The pic I have is a little clearer and the lower spot on the left wing is a square and not a gun. maybe it is just a patch or access port of some kind. The first to go into production (F4u-1) had the wing tanks removed which gave room for 3 50cals in each wing and the nose guns were removed. Another little bit of info, on Oct 1, 1940 the XF4U_1 set a new world speed record of 405 mph
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Mike, that is weird, now that you look at it, that makes sense. This article I got my information from must have been wrong. That other port on the wing might have been a gun camera? Good catch! Never trust anyone in this day and age!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

That's why I asked if you were sure. Still a gun array that came from the 20s and 30s, clearly not up to snuff for WW2.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

I understand, I'm always wrong. Just ask my wife.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

OK here is another one about the corsair then I'll stop. What was the production model that got rid of the razor back and went to a bubble canopy like the P51D had
Back to the top

Aviation triva

The F2G. Interesting story behind it. Bob Odegaard just helped restore another one to flying condition. That makes only 2 flying in the world currently.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Here is the latest one.[br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Yep you got it! I've got a squadron/signal publications book on the corsair. It has all sorts of info on it. You are welcome to borrow it if you want to.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Maybe , it's better than the factory info!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

If I remember I will bring it to the meeting saturday. OK?
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Thanks Mike. This latest one, #74, has a speed mod which should make it very interesting on take-off and landing. It has no flaps.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

So you are saying it is not an STOL aircraft? On some of those short wing racers don't they lift off the runway in ground effect and finish their acceleration there before an active climb is established? I read that somewhere, but it sounds like an urban legend to me.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

That's true. The Rare Bear has no flaps and John Penney said he would lift off in the 3-point position and then accelerate in ground effect to maneuvering speed which was like 160-180 knots indicated then climb away. They have so much power it doesn't take long to reach that speed. Just like the F-4 Phantom's did, remember Jim?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.