Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

GJ Pylon racing...

GJ Pylon racing...

First one of the 'season' this saturday up at their field. Anyone going? Or anyone going to their fun fly sunday? Anyone doing anything? Or anyone alive out there?
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

Still alive. If all goes as planed, we're closing and moving to Cobble Creek on the 28th. Most R/C stuff is packed away until the move except the Miss L.A. and the Triplane. Are we going to have any set flying days and times at our field posted on the calendar? Saturdays?, weekdays???? J & J
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

Dale is working on a schedule to have an instructor out there every saturday, so I'm thinking saturday would be a good time for everyone to get out and fly together. Comments anyone?
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

I think that would do a lot to to spark intrest. As it is the only time more than a couple pilots get together at the field are field maintenance days.
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

I'm trying to get a plane put together before saturday morning. If I do I'll race, if not, I'll probably still go up there to support Kirk and whoever else goes.
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

I got a lot of work on the racer done today. Fuse made, wing sheeted, cut out ailerons and faced them and the cutouts, those and the LE wood are drying on, so I'll have to sand the LE, attach ailerons, install servos, make tail, cover, test fly. [br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

Looking good so what are you going to cover it with?
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

I dunno yet. First I wanted to glass it. But can't epoxy in the house, and with the SNOW and cold I have nowhere to do that. Jim suggested using water based Poly with the glass, which doesn't stink, and I know does work. But I may just use monokote for the purpose of getting it done. What's the size of each part of the v-tail supposed to be? how long the control on them (or wide?), and set at 110 degress, right?
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

In the interest of speed, I was suggesting just doing water based poly on the balsa sheeting. Once sealed, you could also use tape or light coats of spray paint to establish a color scheme for the wing. Krylon makes a water based spray paint now that may work just fine. Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

I ended up doing the iron on covering. The fuse and tail are covered. Wing bolt downs done. Need to: - cover wing, install ailerons and servos/control rods. - install pull-pull for elevator and that servo, as well as control horns back there. - see how everything fits in, and estimate a good balance point. I weighed the covered fuse/tail with wing on it, motor installed and ESC in it (so missing servos and battery) and it was 7.4 oz's. that means with a 3S 2100 battery I'll probably be just under the 14 oz mark. Paul
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

DONE. Ready to go. Balance looks like it will be good. Elevator servo pull pull doesn't quite center right, but will be ok for tomorrow. Kirk and I will be heading up there. BTW, it's all black.
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

Racer X [br]
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

So how did things go at the races? Did you and Kirk bring your planes home in one piece? Did you end up painting the plane or doing the monokote thing? Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

GJ Pylon racing...

It's heat shrink coating. We both brought them back. Nothing in the races was scored as it was sort of a 'fun' thing. It was fun.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.