Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

winter project

winter project

Well, my first experience with covering undercamber wings has started. The proctor mini-antic bipe is comming along but I had to make a special shoe for my trim iron for the undercamber wings. They take a lot more time. Must be doing something right cause there are no rinkles YET. It sure takes a lot longer to cover these wings. Anyone having experience , I will gladly consider any suggestions you have.
Back to the top

winter project

Ribbed or sheet, Mike?
Back to the top

winter project

ribbed. Its a representation of the pre WW1 aircraft
Back to the top

winter project

Start with the bottom of the wings first. Tack the covering to the middle of the ribs first, then along the leading and trailing edge's from the center out to each tip. Then tack the covering to the entire length of the ribs working from the center out. When all the surfaces are tacked down shrink all the wrinkles out. Use the lowest heat setting that will produce good results and a proper bond. If you try to shrink the covering to much or apply it with to much heat it will loosen all the tacked down covering as you heat it. It's actually really easy and looks good when its done. The Antic doesn't have a really deep under camber if I remember correctly. Hope this helps!
Back to the top

winter project

It has been a good while since I've done this, but if you tack the leading and trailing edges down before ironing the covering down for the entire length of the ribs, you may not have enough slack in the covering to iron it down to the undercamber. I've only done this once with monocote and I had a spar available to iron the covering to. I then ironed the covering to each rib undercamber forward of the spar and then to the leading edge. I did the same for the area behind the spar. It did take some time. Without a spar to iron the covering to, I'm not sure what I'd do. Cover it with silk like olden times. No worries.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

winter project

If you really want to go scale you can use the rib stitching and pinking tape method. It might be a little time consuming though!
Back to the top

winter project

gary, I thought of doing that but since this isn't a scale ship I decided not to get that involved. Thanks for the advice to both of you. It seems that my method ends up being similar to your ideas. I guess it helps that the ribs are capped with 1/32" ply strips. That gives a lot more for the covering to stick to. Got one wing completly covered and the underside of another done They are looking good so far!
Back to the top

winter project

Glad to hear it's going well. Undercamber just takes more patience and swearing.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.