Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Bernie Mendenhall, we've lost a member

I learned this morning that Bernie passed away last night. His long-term battle with serious health issues is over. At this point details of his funeral service are not available. When they are you will be notified via this forum and your email. For those of you who did not know Bernie well: He was a member of the local club long before MMAA came into existence. I first met him when he was running "the" local hobby shop, that would have been in the early 80s. He'd been very active for some time prior to that and was a member of the Montrose Mini Flyers when I joined in 1986. We have lost a good man and strong supporter of model aviation in the local area. We wish him calm winds and a clear sky. Respectfully, Jim Ferguson

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Rest in peace Bernie, You'll be dearly missed by all of us who were lucky enough to have called you a friend.
Back to the top

Bernie's funeral is scheduled for Thursday,January 17th, at 2:00 pm. The location will be the Methodist Church in Olathe. A potluck will be held at Carol and Bernie's home after the services. If any additional information is forthcoming, it will be posted here and emailed to MMAA members.

Back to the top

the club is going to have a fun fly to honer him this spring we hope to have this in may we will keep u informd

400 ' is high enough to get were you are going
Back to the top

Cliff, Why dont we plan on the weekend of May 18&19 sometime. Memorial day weekend is usually pretty buisy for everyone and this would put it a week after our meeting so maybe more people would remember and turn out! Sorry to say I didn't know Bernie very well so if anyone can give me any idea of his flying style or a favorite manuver of his I will try to come up with an event just to honor him!
Back to the top

I think that's a great idea. Bernie enjoyed being at the field with friends more than anything else as far as I could tell.
Back to the top

I agree, a fun fly in honor of Bernie is a great idea, we will dearly miss him.
Back to the top

If I am in town will definatly attend. He mentioned a plan called the space walker on several occasions, not sure if it was one of his favorites or not, if somebody has one maybe it could be flown. RIP Bernie.
Back to the top

Fair winds and blue skies, Bernie. He always asked me, when I was going to crash my airplane. It must be a hobby store owner thing.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

The services were really nice and it is clear that Bernie touched a lot of lives. I learned quite a few new things about him. It sucks to learn things about someone after they are gone. Carol seemed to be holding up fairly well, but I'm sure that having family there helped that quite a bit. I saw Andrew, Gary Heard, Sabin Heard, Richard Harding, and Dick Sprankle at the services. Although I missed him, I was told that Mike Mclain was there too. There were a couple more local RC pilots in the crowd, so the modeling activity so important to Bernie was at least represented. Gary and Dick were honorary pallbearers.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.