Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Centennial Field Chronicle

Yesterday was just fantastic out at the good old Centennial Field. The winds were cooperative for powered flight, the runway is in great shape, and my landings were unusually smooth (really, I had a witness). John Hicks joined me for some sailplane flight. Thermal activity at the field of late has been killer, and I am just going to have to put some spoilers on the Aspire. I was so high at one point that it got hard to tell exactly what the plane was doing, other than getting smaller. I had a red-tailed hawk with me again at altitude. I fed in a bunch of down trim and it was clear that I was still going up. I had to push the right stick forward, and at that distance I couldn't tell if I was pushing the plane too hard. Until I was pretty close to the field and maybe 300 to 400 feet high, I was having to work to get the sailplane back down. And the landing was basically a no airspeed, smooth, no slide, affair. I had not timed the flight, but my neck was appropriately sore. I will take the folding recliner next week. To top it off, at around 2 the wind picked up a bit and allowed John to take his Bee up on the slope just east of the field, and get in some slope flying. Powered flight, thermal flight, and slope flight all in one day at our flying field. The wildflowers are blooming, it was quiet, and the company was good. Man but we're lucky.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Just out of curiosity, Where is Centennial Field?
Back to the top

Time for a riddle: Olathe Centennial Field is about 5.5 miles NE of Olathe in the adobes. Anyone know?

Back to the top

Is that the name of our field? I haven't looked at the sign for awhile and my memory isn't what it used to be. Don't laugh. I'm getting old.
Back to the top

Too late. I laughed. For getting the correct answer to the riddle you get an extra hot dog at our next cookout. Not much of a prize is it?

Back to the top

Depends on how hungry you are.
Back to the top

By the way, just for grins I checked the elevation on our runways and on the top of the ridge to the east. It is about 100 ft. So we are probably often flying higher than we think.

Back to the top

Jim, it's funny but I fly to and from Centennial field also. But it's identifier is KAPA!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Ah, but not Olathe Centennial Field. We need to make up our own identifier I guess. Some of the wildflowers in bloom out there right now are below: First is the sego lily, followed by globe mallow. The sego lily is the Utah state flower, and the bulbs were eaten by Indians and settlers alike. [br][br][br][br]

Back to the top

And we also have spiny horsebrush, and scorpion weed. Scorpion weed was named because the way the flower buds unfold looks somewhat like the tail of a scorpion. When spring conditions are just right, scorpion weed can carpet the adobes and put on quite a show. More to come. [br][br][br][br]

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.