Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Dave Thornburg

Dave Thornburg

Whenever I'm working in Albuquerque I like to go to the balloon park (the field they use for R/C flying before the "they fly balloons there" jokes start) and see what people are flying. Friday I met a couple of old guy's who were flying free-flight oldies and a Bombshell Buzzard so I went over to say hello. One of the guy's Was Dave Thornburg who wrote a book a few years ago called "Do you speak Model Airplane?" about the history of model aviation as well as writing for Model builder magazine for a long time. We talked for almost an hour about models and he literally knew all the pioneers of modeling, who designed what, the story behind the design etc not to mention a ton of good stories. He himself was also a kit manufacturer in the 1970's. It had to be the most interesting conversation I've had in years. They really have busy R/C community down here not to mention U-control is alive and well. You can actually go to the field on any given morning and see some folks flying Old timer's, U-control and occasionally rubber powered models. They are facing the same issues in ABQ that we are here which is getting young people interested, It's not happening. As it turns out a majority of the newcomer's are guy's in their late 20's and early 30's who have careers now and a few extra bucks to spend on planes. I thought that was interesting and maybe something we should keep in mind when trying to spread the word.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

Gary, most excellent! He's an old soaring guy with lot's of knowledge about soaring/gliding. He's an Icon in the model aviation community and probably got Pat Tritle started in his endeavors. Now if we could get some young folks started here, this would be most gratifying!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

That's right Randy, he was headed down to Moriardy today to attend a glider event in his honor, he was pretty modest about the whole thing. I think he was the guy who started the discuss launch gliders? I can usually catch Pat at the same field, interesting bunch of folks.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

I really enjoyed Thornburg's column when he wrote for the late great Model Builder magazine. There were a good many very talented modelers who wrote for that magazine.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

Dave Thornburg designed the famous Bird of Time glider way back in the late '70s and completed with at the highest level in F3B competion. ( I built it from plans right after the were published in RCM..Great bird!!) He and Skip Miller, who at the time had just won the 1st world F3B competition with the Airtronics Aquila were fierce completitors but good friends. Skip could never understand why Dave refused to use spoilers for glide path control on his BoT. I guess Thornburg would just say that they would destroy the flight characteristics of the BoT wing. Instead, he would fly over the landing spot and just circle it close to the ground until his timer would start to count down the last 10 secs of the task time and then break off and go for the spot landing. Quite entertaining Skip said. I and a couple of fellow glider guiders tried to emulate Dave's odyssey which he wrote about in, I believe, an article in Model Builder about slope soaring on top of Trail Ridge road. Scary but fun! I would've loved to have been with you, Gary
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

That's a cool little tidbit! I was telling him about our club and invited him to stop in and fly with us. He still tours on his bicycle and occasionally comes through here. That would be a treat.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

If anyone needs anything from SkipMillerModels.com, please let me know and I can pick it up for you at his store in Boulder. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

I'll take one of each please! I didn't even know there was still a hobby shop in Boulder.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

Well, that's where he sells things from. I think his warehouse is there.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Dave Thornburg

Love to have one of his larger sailplanes, but no one is sponsoring me yet. Priceeee!

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.