Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Day at the Field and Endangered Buckwheat

This morning, with a Fish and Wildlife Service biologist, we began marking the boundaries of the protective exclosures for the clay-loving wild buckwheat. We only managed to get the parcel west of the main runway at the north end. Because the rectangular plot originally laid out came too close to the runway, we altered the shape of the SE boundary to provide a better separation between the runway and the new fence. The new exclosure shape adds an additional corner and H brace which will increase the construction cost somewhat. If the increase is too large, we may have to ante up a little money or labor. That is something expected in situations such as this. In the end the fences will protect our interests and legal obligations under the conservation easements. Later this week, I'll meet the biologist out there again to lay out the proposed protective exclosures on the western side of the property (both sides of the canal). It was a good morning. I saw one of our burrowing owls, quail, cottontails, red tailed hawk, turkey vulture (aka. thermal sniffer), and a bull snake. Not only that, but I managed to sneak in a little flying too. Nothing to complain about today.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I will be on the property again today with the Fish and Wildlife Service marking the other Endangered clay-loving buckwheat exclosures. If you see orange pin flags on the property NW of the runway intersection, west of the main access road, or on the west side of the canal, please do not remove them. They will provide easy to find markers for the folks who come out to bid on the project.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.