Skip navigation

Flying Field Facility Maintenance

This past Saturday I mowed all the weeds in the pit area, which was looking pretty shabby. Since the mower could not cut the weeds near the fence or benches there are still locations that need attention. If you have a weed whacker bring it out and take care of that task please. If you don't have one, there is a manual weed whacker (double blade weed cutter) in the large cabinet. It works well. 

Clearly we need desperately to get that pit area sprayed. There is no other way to keep ahead of the weeds. At this point the runways are just starting to have weeds popping up. Spot spraying can be done using the herbicide and the hand sprayer in the large cabinet.  There are instructions for mixing the spray posted on the inside back of the cabinet. For the weeds we are treating now, 2-4d will not work. There is a container of glyphosate (basically Roundup) that will work, but for the halogeton that is dominating the weed problem the chemical should be mixed at about twice the listed rate. Applied at the rate shown will not kill that particular plant. 

Members did donate to purchase a 20 gallon sprayer that we can pull behind the mower, but it has not been hauled down from Junction yet. 

The ropes that kept the porta johns from blowing over rotted to the point that one of the johns did blow over, It is naturally a disaster inside. They need to be tied down. If someone could bring some relatively heavy duty rope and tie those buggers down again, we can get them serviced. 

The prairie dogs are going gangbusters out there; if you wish to shoot them there are some constraints on that activity. You will need to notify the Board for approval, and one of the most important rules is that if anyone else is out there flying or using the facility in any way other than shooting prairie dogs, you must put your gun away. These rules are a result of a safety issue that took place in the past. 

Questions?

Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Thank You Jim for the work you put in!!

The rain we are supposed to get this week is not going to help us win the war on the weeds. We are going to have to hit them hard as soon as we can when it dries up or we are going to be overrun. 

If we could just train the Prairie dogs to eat the weeds…
Back to the top

Halogeton is even too nasty for them. Not many critters can stomach the stuff.  The noxious weed is from Russia and China, and produces oxalates that are poisonous to livestock, especially sheep. Don't suspect the little pot guts will help us much there.  

Back to the top

Sorry fellows, I don't have time to get on here much or play with airplanes anymore for that matter. At any rate, we hooked the sprayer to our tractor and hauled it down Sunday and sprayed the whole place. I can't imagine anything surviving now. I have the sprayer at the house so it doesn't get ripped off but anybody is welcome to take/store it until we get the cabinet set up.

We have devised a way to open the job box which we'll try to get to when time allows.
Back to the top

Thank You Gary!! Hopefully you are right and we will have a good result from your spraying. Time will tell. 

Thank You!
Back to the top

Wish I had known you were coming down Gary. Hopefully your idea for getting the damaged Job Box open will work. Speaking of work, you must be getting run all over the country working on those Otters. Bummer. But at least it pays well. I have faith that you won't forget how to fly RC.

Back to the top

Mike Mclain sprayed the runways, parking lot, and those spots where Gary's earlier spray job didn't take. So if you see tire tracks on the runway, and other suspicious locations, it was probably Mike.  

I evicted the starlings from the grille for the second time this spring. Previously I'd used napkins to plug their access holes, but they just tore them out. Today, I placed a piece of rebar through both holes to cut down the size of the opening so they cannot get through.

Back to the top

Does somebody who lives closer want to store the sprayer so everybody isn't waiting on me? It's not doing us any good in my barn. I'm about 99.9% sure nobody is going to drive up here to get it just to spray the field.
Back to the top

Gary, we will find somewhere to store it. I am thinking we need to build a small shed to store the lawnmower and sprayer. We can discuss at the meeting.
Back to the top

Don't forget that Betz (spelling may be way off) has made a commitment to donate another cabinet to us. They donated the larger of our existing cabinets shortly after we moved to the current flying site. Regardless of the size of another donated cabinet it'll greatly improve our storage capabilities. In fact, if we revamped the interior of the smaller of our current cabinets, and maybe welded the back door shut, it would improve it's usefulness.

Back to the top

Flew at the field today.  Sunny with just a little wind.

Removed some weeds from south part of the runway and from the pit area.  The runways are in great shape, hard packed and smooth.  Two clean portajohns. Thanks for that.
Back to the top

Nice day for flying. Mowed the weeds in the pits and the tall ones at the north end of the main runway. We're going to need a battery for the mower.  John Finn joined me for a while.  

Dumb thumbed the Kadet into an interesting new shape.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.