Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Taurus 1.20 tow plane donation

Speaking of sailplane Saturday, I have a Taurus 1.20 tow plane with an OS 1.20, flaps etc. It's ready to fly minus an RX. and battery. We would like to donate it to the club to tow larger planes and such. I am so short on spare time right now I am unable to get it set up, is anybody interested in taking possession of it and putting a receiver in it? I ran the engine last fall but it will need cleaned out and test ran again. The Taurus was popular for pattern flying and aero-towing a while back, mostly in Europe. I'll bet Jim and Randy are familiar with it…
Back to the top

You know I think it'd work well. Damn Gary, you have not seen my garage and the Association stuff I have here in addition to my own. Maybe Bob H. would take it so he'd have control over the Association tow plane. Remind me what is the span of that critter? I know we've been through this before but I can't find a good photo of it on the web.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I think it's about 70+ inches. It's a pretty neat plane actually.
Back to the top

Sounds like fun. When I'm able to get back home, I'll start on the 1/4 scale Super Cub. Then, we should be able to tow some big birds. It should only take a week or so to put it together. I've been slowly hoarding parts for it. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Gary, I think we've been through this before, but this is not the Ed Kazmirsky designed Taurus right? It is something else entirely correct?

Back to the top

some pic's[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Yeah, that's what I thought it was. Should tow planes like John's Spirit Elite easily. OK, I suppose I can give it a whirl. I don't have a lot of time either, but it looks like it is good enough shape that it won't take much to get it airborne and get a tow release installed. With that span it ought to fly nicely and old twitchy hands should be able to cope with it. Just curious,is that a cowling hanging on the front that needs some fitting?

Back to the top

Excellent Jim, We want to try and fly Saturday and can bring it along. I can probably come up with anything else you need. The cowl has been fit already it will just need reinstalled after a test run.
Back to the top

Gary, I'll see you out there on Sat. Randy won't be there to tow, but John will be there for sailplane flying. I'll be bringing mine too. It is a sailplane day and if you don't have yours ready, you two can fly mine. Hopefully, on the electric one, I can get some up elevator mixed with my throttle so it won't nose down with throttle application. I will have the winch out there, but may not set it up unless the wind direction is just right. As always, there is room for some powered flight amidst the sailplanes. I may bring my Edge 540. I won't fly it if it keeps nosing over like it has in the past. That is the main reason it has not flown yet. If it does, I may need to make another set of gear that will move the wheels forward slightly. Maybe it'd even help if I bent the gear legs out a bit to lower the fuselage. Right now, if it gets hung up on anything at all, even something really small, the nose bites the dust. Damned irritating.

Back to the top

photos of the Taurus doing its sailplane towing thing. That's a piped .60 doing all of that. http://www.modelplanepilots.com/aeromodelli/tecnica-rc/aerotraino-alianti-rc.html
Back to the top

I did a quick look at that site and turned on the Google translator It a Super Tigre 90. A bit more oomph. I imagine the 120 four stroke should do just fine. Did not find anything on the web about the plane except on the site posted by Merlin. Pretty odd. Looks like the Italians made the kit in the 90s.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.