Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aftershock, composite glider...

Post

I am working on making a composite glider that dale had designed many years back, as we both got out of the hobby it was shelved.  Am back to flying and want to make my own planes, so I am getting busy with my cnc machine and putting this together.

This is the concept:





To start I need a fuse plug, so I cut it out of MDF, in halves, then glued it up and soaked it with epoxy to harden the surface.   Some sanding and filling has started.   But I will need a wing, horizontal and the vertical tail pieces, and canopy made, in order to fit to the fuse plug to make sure it is sanded properly to shape.





 

 

Back to the top

Post

So I got started cutting out horizontal and vertical plugs in corian.   The are cut, then marked so I can see the low spots of the machining marks, and sand appropriately. 






The vertical piece get's the same treatment, here one marked, one sanded.



Then loads of sanding down to 3000 grit and polishing, need to get them as smooth and shiney as possible so the molds I make from them are good.  Getting there....

Back to the top

Post

So that's what the corian was for.  Nice progress. It's going to be good to see that thing come together and fly.  :thumbs:

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Post

Exquisite work! Looks like a lot of skill and patience.
Back to the top

Post

Just using knowledge I have acquired over the years.  This will be my first composite plane that I made.
Back to the top

Post

Looks good, Paul. Will this be for DS'ing?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Post

I think that is the plan, perhaps I will make a heavy carbon one for that and a lighter version for front side.
Back to the top

Post

Totally cool Paul.  I am glad to see that you are back into modeling.  Looking forward to seeing more of your project.
Back to the top

Post

Thanks.

Should be able to get started cutting wing molds in corian tomorrow.  3d models of cuts below.

For alignment in all the parts, I drilled in with .25 bn mill, will use .25 ball bearings, set in on one side, and out on the other.    That will be for all molds I make.

Wings will just have them glued in on one side since that is mold instead of plug.
 
Back to the top

Post

Neat project Arbo. What software are you using?
Back to the top

Post

The parts are made in Rhino.  I used to use the cam for that, but now I just import those objects into aspire and use it's machining toolpaths.
Back to the top

Post

Wing top mold cut.

Back to the top

Post

Prepped the tail plug and put in the gel coat... after these pic's I added glass backing.  Should be cured tomorrow to pull the mold off and see how it turned out.


Back to the top

Post

Popped it open just a bit ago.  This is it just opened.  Loads of clay to clean up and edges to sand down.  Overall not bad for a first go at it.

For the next one, which will be the other side of the mold, think I am gonna try to pour paraffin wax in the trough instead of clay, less cleanup I think.   Also do a little better with the clay around the edges of the damn. 

Back to the top

Post

bottom wing mold cut

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.