Skip navigation

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

I am not for sure but I think it was the "G" model or maybe the "H". I used to follow the 51 pretty thoroughly. I do know that the turbo model was a little longer because of the engine.
Back to the top

It was made by the Piper Aircraft Company. It was called the PA-48 Enforcer. It was was designed as a Counter-Insurgency, ground attack aircraft that could haul quite a bit of stores. One of the models had a Rolls-Royce Dart engine of about 2500 shp (shaft horse power) and the other model used an Avco-Lycoming T-56 helicopter engine. I think this engine was slightly less horsepower. Still, with more horse power than the piston powered version, it wasn't as fast as the original P-51 Mustang but could haul a much greater load of weapons. As far as I know, they only made two prototypes and never went into production.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I remember the name Enforcer, but had completely forgotten about it. A bit surprised it was slower.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I was just looking at my 1943-44 issue of Jane's all the World's Aircraft, and it states that the first issue was published 33 years prior to 1944.  It's amazing that the world was so fascinated with aircraft that those books were first published that long ago. Just think of the changes in aviation from 1911 to 1944, and from 1944 until now. Such rapid advancement.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.