Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

I am not for sure but I think it was the "G" model or maybe the "H". I used to follow the 51 pretty thoroughly. I do know that the turbo model was a little longer because of the engine.
Back to the top

It was made by the Piper Aircraft Company. It was called the PA-48 Enforcer. It was was designed as a Counter-Insurgency, ground attack aircraft that could haul quite a bit of stores. One of the models had a Rolls-Royce Dart engine of about 2500 shp (shaft horse power) and the other model used an Avco-Lycoming T-56 helicopter engine. I think this engine was slightly less horsepower. Still, with more horse power than the piston powered version, it wasn't as fast as the original P-51 Mustang but could haul a much greater load of weapons. As far as I know, they only made two prototypes and never went into production.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I remember the name Enforcer, but had completely forgotten about it. A bit surprised it was slower.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I was just looking at my 1943-44 issue of Jane's all the World's Aircraft, and it states that the first issue was published 33 years prior to 1944.  It's amazing that the world was so fascinated with aircraft that those books were first published that long ago. Just think of the changes in aviation from 1911 to 1944, and from 1944 until now. Such rapid advancement.

Back to the top

Just looking at my last issue of Air and Space Smithsonian, and did you know that the Bell X-1 when it broke the sound barrier for the first time carried a load of fuel that weighed more than twice what the airplane itself did. The B-29 that carried it aloft was hefting about 15,000 pounds of rocket powered airplane up to over 30 thousand feet.  I can't imagine what a ride Chuck Yeager had in that thing with 4 rocket engines kicking him in the butt for the first time; not knowing for certain what was going to happen. Good grief that was the year before I was born, way back in neanderthal times.

Back to the top

And what year was that neanderthal man?
Back to the top

Let's see, they just celebrated the 70th anniversary of supersonic flight. So let's do the math……… :lol:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

You would do the math. So it had to be 1947.

Back to the top

Let's see, what year was the United States Air Force formed?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Something tells me that it might have been the same year.  Could be huh.

Back to the top

My turn. Since the Bell X-1 had no windshield deicing system, how did they keep it from icing up and blocking the pilot's view?

Back to the top

Not a single guess? Aw c'mon guys. The crew chief rubbed a coating of Drene Shampoo on the inside of the windscreen and that did the trick.  Interestingly, I currently use a thin coating of baby shampoo on the inside of my swim goggles to keep them from fogging up, and it works. Low tech sometimes isn't so bad.

Back to the top

At supersonic speeds, the air friction would keep it frost free. :P

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

The entire flight wasn't supersonic it did start at somewhere around 30k or so of I remember right. I'll check on that one. Based on the article in Air and Space icing was a concern.

Back to the top

I understand. Oh, it would have frosted up on the climb up. It gets cold at 30,000 feet above sea level. Especially if it wasn't treated. I guess they had some sort of electrical heating in it as well.  We used to spit in our dive masks, when we had too but that is unsanitary. :lol:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.