Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

Heated suit I imagine, but taking the helmet oxygen off to spit on little spots of the canopy so he could see out could have caused a bit of hypoxia.  Well who wants to stay awake when you have no idea what's going to happen when you break the sound barrier for the first time in level flight. Besides, that would have taken so much spit  :dry: Spit just didn't work very well in my swim goggles.

Somehow, I don't think the friction at mach 1 would have been quite high enough to melt all the potential ice off the windshield.   :shake:

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Oh, it most certainly would have been warm enough. Check out these facts on skin temperature at supersonic speed.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a380795.pdf

Check out page 13, these were done with a German V-2 missile. Pretty interesting stuff.

Last edit: by Pilatuspc12

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

BUT, if you go back to the graphs on pages 39 through 41, it looks like at Mach 1 the temperature rise is only to 100 degrees F.  Still pretty warm, but again, much of the flight would be well below that Mach number. Hey that was 1948, and frankly on pages 25 and 37 I think there are some serious issues with the basic premise used for the equations to calculate the temperature rise for aluminum skin when coated with lacquer based paints.  ;) In any case, those folks must have had some concerns about the issue to even bother with the shampoo thing, or the crew chief was just into shampoo.  :lol:

Back to the top

I love playing devil's advocate with you, Jim. :thumbs: I can't believe you actually read it, good on you, mate.:hippie:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Hey, who's arguing? I started to try to actually read it but my remembry of those calculus looking things from college classes back when me ancestors were still airing things out under kilts had gotten a bit stale. Consequently, I fell to sleep mate. Had to fake a bit of that response. I will blame Air and Space Smithsonian if the windscreen was actually warm and they are pulling the readers chain. I did actually skim the paper a bit though, as you might notice. All in all it's a few thousand meters above my head. O_o

Back to the top

No worries.  I figured we might get a rise out of the dead members. :shutup:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.