Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

Never used liquid cooled? North American? Was the propeller layout used to provide clearance with the adoption of tricycle landing gear maybe. The tail and wing layout just doesn't look like North American design late in the war design. Is the engine buried in the fuselage? This is a total mystery to me.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

It was determined, the other prototype from the same company was fast enough, so this one was never built. Just the full size mock-up for the wind tunnel tests was made. It would have had over 2300 horse power, so it would have been pretty fast.
This company usually used air cooled radial engines and they only used turbo-chargers instead of superchargers in some of their most famous aircraft.
      Here is a photo of a plastic model of one that might have been combat ready. The engine was in the nose, the exhaust came out the rear, through the turbo charger exhausts. 

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Sure has a Republic look to it.  Still isn't  familiar at all, but as a guess is it the xp-69?

Back to the top

Yes, it is. It was one of the prototypes fielded by Republic Aircraft. The other prototype was the XP-72, which was the  Pratt and Whitney R-4360 powered P-47. It flew at 454 mph, so this one wasn't developed. It looks the right proportions to make a good flying RC model, though. It certainly would be something you don't see at the flying field every day. The tail looks like it's from a P-47, though.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here is a familiar shape with a twist. What is it?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Really? Vertical take off?  Shouldn't be too hard to Google that one.
Back to the top

Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations. Darn, I knew there was something wrong. :hippie:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

My guess is it is some kind of a variant of the T38. It sure looks like it!
Back to the top

Ok so it was once a proposed variant of the the 38 that never went anywhere.  So Randolph the secret to unhappiness has been unveiled. That's the wrong one. Leave the "un" off the word.  

Back to the top

It looks like it went up at least once!
Back to the top

I appreciate this thread. I never realized how versatile that relatively simple airplane has been, and how hard it has been pushed over the years to do things it was never designed to do. Really an educational discussion :)
Back to the top

OK, I think I got this figured out. Here is an odd one but I think some may recognize the name. What is it?
Back to the top

Brewster Buffalo? Looks like the Germans were doing some R&D. 
Back to the top

You got it quicker than I expected. If the info I got is correct, This one was actually in the Finish air force. The germans also had some. They were purchased before WW11 if my info is correct.
Back to the top

The mighty Brewster Buffalo. John Morgan is making a 1/4 scale foam one over on RCGroups.com.
The blue swastika is backwards for the Finnish air force. They also used Messerschmitt BF-109's.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.