Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

Aviation triva

So I did remember correctly. Amazed I am.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Of course Jim, did you really ever have any doubt? I think not.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Uhh yeah, I did.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

Jim, you really need to see this. YouTube

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Cool. I don't remember if the spit I saw in Palm Springs had a Griffon engine or not, but in my photos it has the fully eliptical wing, not the clipped ones. If the Griffon and Merlin sound nearly the same, then the one that came in here from time to time could have had a Griffon in it. It was so cool to see a Spit fly into Montrose Regional tho.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

I think Bill Greenwood, from Aspen, has a Mk.IX Spitfire but it was involved in a taxiing accident with a Hawker Hurricane at an airshow last year and is still in the shop getting repaired.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Here it is at Oshkosh.[br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Wonder what it costs per hour to take a ride in this thing? Probably a scary amount. So do you know if the merlin and griffon sound the same or similar? My Palm Springs photo of the Spit do show the 5 bladed prop, which probably wasn't used on the Merlin. Eww. The skill required to repair all the wood on the Hurry would be substantial. Bet the repair costs for that are much higher than the spit.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

Well guys, this just popped up and could be very dangerous to one's wallet. BH Models Westland Wyvern - Model Airplane News

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Tippodriver said

Wonder what it costs per hour to take a ride in this thing? Probably a scary amount. So do you know if the merlin and griffon sound the same or similar? My Palm Springs photo of the Spit do show the 5 bladed prop, which probably wasn't used on the Merlin. Eww. The skill required to repair all the wood on the Hurry would be substantial. Bet the repair costs for that are much higher than the spit. Bill was asking about $1000.00 per half hour of flying. The Merlin has a roar, the Griffon has a growl. Apparently Bill taxied his Spitfire into the Hurricane and they both were seriously damaged. No one was hurt.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

The Wyvern does sound about right with the electric power. But, the battery cost must be scary by itself. You going to get one Randy?

Back to the top

Aviation triva

I think he was flying it with 2-5 cell packs which I have in a slightly used Biplane. It sure does look good.[br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

The Brits did pick an odd color combo though.

Back to the top

Aviation triva

The Royal Navy had some different ideas on camouflage. It's interesting to note the addition of the side area panels to the horizontal stab. It would look like the already huge vertical stab and rudder would provide enough stability without them.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aviation triva

Nobody can accuse them of skimping on the aluminum for that thing standing straight up on the back of the fuselage. you have a slightly used biplane? Maybe I'll get to see it fly again some day.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.