Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History and Trivia

Aviation triva

Aviation triva

Of course, I just have to check the batteries. Has anyone seen these? 404 (Page Not Found) Error - Ever feel like you're in the wrong place?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

What is the slowest airplane flown?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Twin Otter  :lol:
Back to the top

That's funny!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

slow stick? Blimp? OK, the second one isn't a plane. 

Never would have gotten this without Google.

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

The slowest airplane is the helicopter.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

What are these?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Did you know the "B" model P-51 Mustang was faster than the "D" model? Why was that?
There are a couple of reasons for it's greater speed.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Ok, start with the flugzeug photos. The fw-190 looks like the Dora reproduction. Is that the one with the Allison V-12?  The other of course is the ubiquitous ME-109. Ugly buggers, but certainly performed quite well. With your prompting the other day Randy, I went crawling around on the web looking up information on these buggers. Got totally lost in photos, videos, and information. Then I went to bed, laid on my side, and it mostly drained out. I never did find the photo of that particular ME-109.

Back to the top

still scratchin my head over the mustang question.

Back to the top

Well, yes, both the FW-190D-9 and the Bf-109G-10 are both powered by Allison V-1710, V-12 engines. In case you're wondering, depending on the model of engine, they put out between 1200 to 1400 horsepower. The reason for the engine changes are because of availability, reliability and ease of maintenance. They are also lighter and smaller so they could fit in the cowlings upright instead of inverted, like the original German engines. Quite a neat installation as they look completely stock.
       The "B" model P-51 Mustang had a thinner wing airfoil, only 4, .50 caliber machine guns, tilted at a 45 degree angle to fit into the thinner wings and the "razorback" fuselage, aft of the cockpit reduced drag for higher speed at the expense of overall visibility.
Thanks for asking, Jim.

Last edit: by Pilatuspc12

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I had figured that the fewer machine guns played a role in the speed difference. Figured the razorback did too. I am surprised to learn about the different airfoils. Never knew it had been changed like that during the production of the Mustang.

Back to the top

Yes, they had to make the wing thicker to contain the  6- upright .50 cal Browning machine guns.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

OK, 
what is the slowest, high wing, twin turbine, fixed landing gear airplane in production today?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

AirCam?
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.