Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Now you will have to register your 'drone'.... with the FEDS...

This is not an issue confined to the US. Europe is experiencing similar problems with hobby drones and full size aircraft.  They too are considering legal options, among other things like geofencing to curb the potential threat to public safety. These same problems were not an issue there or here with fixed wing model aircraft. At least if it was, no one has talked about it.

So, you may have issues with federal regulation of drones and a general lack of trust as it relates to the potential impact on the rest of us, but we'll have to figure out how to deal with it. I for one am damn glad that AMA is trying to work with the federal government to come up with reasonable solutions.  BTW Anthony, I did not hear anything especially alarming during the press conference with the USDOT.  

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Anthony, the reason that you put your AMA number or your name in your model is make sure that AMA will cover you in case of an accident with out your number or name on or in the aircraft  AMA can deny coverage

MMAA President
Back to the top

The thing about the conference is that at the end the harder questions were asked. When asked, how are you going to police this, and they didn't have an answer other than local authorities. My point is that non of this is going to work, and then the rules will get more stringent that probably won't work either.

Europe's rules aren't much different than ours other than some countries have banned FPV, and weight is limited in areas.

My whole point is the rules will get harder on us that follow the rules, and the people breaking the laws still keep on doing their thing unrestricted.

I also don't think putting your name on your aircraft makes your aircraft registered. I bet they will want to know a little more info than that like a DMV for cars. I don't think that its that bad other than its an invasion of privacy.

Last edit: by AnthonyC440

Back to the top

Thats the truth.
Back to the top

I think posts like the last one are getting too far into the political realm for a forum discussion on this website which is dedicated to model aviation.   :hand:  

So back to that aspect of this conversation that may pertain to registering drones and related safety items. It is crucial that we as honest folks stay united under the AMA. We remain a small percentage of the American public, especially those of us who obey the rules, and there is strength in numbers, so we need to stick together.

Back to the top

I think its good to talk about this. This affects everyone in the hobby, and you should speak your mind. Everyone has an opinion and they should be heard. Gov't has taken control of our hobby, and we should stand as one. I feel bad that more people in the club don't have an opinion, and that is the root problem of our country. We need to talk about this, or should we wait for someone else to makeup our minds about it. I'm sorry if I'm too extreme for the club, but I can't stand to bite my tongue.  :sinner:
Back to the top

Anthony, my tongue has been sore for quite some time. There seems to be a serious outbreak of apathy surrounding us. I've noticed it for quite a long time now and the infection has not been clearing up. I have done my best to resist the disease, hence my loyalty to our hobby and to MMAA. Perhaps I'm starting to succumb to it because I'm weary of fighting it off. In any case, as it relates to the political side of things, one of the worst proposals I've seen relating to drone regulations was proposed in the CO legislature a year or so ago. It was much more restrictive than anything we've seen proposed at the federal level and absolutely did not differentiate between quadcopter type flying things and more traditional model aircraft. Frankly, I would not be surprised to see something proposed at the City or County level if things continue done the current path. We have people here that are flying things in local parks that should never be flown in those locations (gas powered Aeroworks aerobatic aircraft, .40 and larger glow powered airplanes at Centennial middle school, ducted fan "park flyers' at river bottom flying over other people and rec district buildings, etc. There are also potential trespassing issues with people flying on or over private property, and safety issues from on or over county roads. Selfish stupidity is far too abundant, and the rest of us pay for it. 

We obtained the MMAA flying site, surrounded by public land, as a long term, hopefully secure, facility for those hobbyists that followed us old farts in the future. We knew because of age many of us would not be flying for too many more years. Will selfishness and apathy take its toll on the viability of our flying site? At times it certainly seems so. I believe that is something that has been brewing for a long time, and frankly I think the park flyer movement will not bode well for our hobby.  Why join AMA or MMAA and drive to a more remote location to fly? Why invest time to build or do significant repairs when you can go purchase another piece of ready to fly, cheap, chinese foam? 

I better bite my tongue and get off the soap box. I'm rambling a bit. Frankly I'd like to talk about some of these things face to face rather than in this format. 

Back to the top

I totally agree with everything you have to say, and I feel that it does need to be talked about in every media that we can. The thing is there are so many uneducated people out there, and quads are so easy to fly empowering so many. They say that around 1 million people are going to new to the hobby by Christmas?! OMG, this is snowballing quickly.

Again, we are minority. Its bad we are out numbered, and still have not much of a voice. I know the AMA says that they are defending us, but we don't really know how… I just feel helpless, and along for the ride without a voice.
Back to the top

I think that this is only the beginning, and in their press conference that this is only the first step of many. They really haven't come out to say what needs to be registered either.

I'm assuming that weight, and size will come into play with what needs to be registered. I know other countries have banned any helicopter/quad or 5kg/11lbs. As far as airplanes go I have no idea. Also other countries have just banned anything FPV.

If they do make us register then how do you register it, and to who? How much is it going to cost?  So many things that are unknown so its all speculation. If you think about it there are going to be 100,000's of models to register, and you know an agency will have to regulate it. So for sure it will cost. Then how are you going to mark you aircraft, and I doubt a sticker will do. Then if its like a licence plate then someone could just see and  duplicate your number to seem legit. Also it would have to survive a crash/fire if it runs into a full scale aircraft.

Some statistics for you to think about too. Last year the FAA had around 250 +/- incidents with full sized aircraft, and "Drones". This year they are averaging about a 100 a month, and expecting to have over a 1000 for the year. Now over the Xmas holidays they are expecting around 1 million "Drones" to be sold, but that seems a little steep to me. Either way the problem is going to get worse exponentially.  As soon as a "Drone" causes a full size aircraft to crash we are all in deep Doo Doo.

I think we will be seeing a lot of changes by the beginning of next flying season. I'm hoping that we won't see it as quickly as other places as people here don't seem to savvy on the "Drone" thing quite yet. Although, I'm sure people will get educated quickly.
Back to the top

It seems the media has gotten out of hand, once again. There has been many "sightings" of and so called "near misses" by full size pilots and UAV's, "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles". These have been quadcopters, helicopters and fixed wing models. This has been worsened by the attention from "Youtube" and the media, and other sources of "Drone Frenzy". This situation has been exacerbated by the military using much larger UAV's to target people and deemed military targets.
     So, the "pressure" has been put on the FAA/DOT to stop the "uneducated" from causing these issues. Like Anthony said, there is and probably will be a massive sale of the autonomous flying systems sold in the near future. The full size aviation world is concerned that these "toys" will further clutter "their" skies, causing potential for safety concerns. This is not quite correct. If these operators of these GPS/FPV autonomous systems receive some sort of education/training about the NAS,"National Airspace System", life will be much better for all of us.
    If we, as model aircraft operators, have to register our airplanes, which I feel we already have with the AMA, this should not be an impediment to our hobby. Using the AMA, a Community Based Organization, we have all the training and knowledge at our disposal to make the skies much safer. We as members need to disseminate this information to the uninitiated to inform them of the safety items we take for granted. So, if anyone would like to learn more about our National Airspace System, I would be more than happy to hold a question and answer session at one of our meetings or functions.

Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I received an interesting article about AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) being named to the list for the FAA's "drone" registration process board. Walmart is on their list too! There are some very interesting comments at the end of the article, concerning full size pilots in regards to our "toy" drones. Here is the link to the article.
AOPA to help guide drone registration policy - AOPA

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Pilatuspc12 said

I received an interesting article about AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) being named to the list for the FAA's "drone" registration process board. Walmart is on their list too! There are some very interesting comments at the end of the article, concerning full size pilots in regards to our "toy" drones. Here is the link to the article.
AOPA to help guide drone registration policy - AOPA

Interesting that still not much insight of what is actually going to happen. I guess its going to be big surprise of what is coming. Strange, and has me worried is the big box stores in the task force. I would think that is going to hurt more than help us hobbyists.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Interesting article for sure. I think they are in agreement that the whole thing is a joke. I would assume this month is when some ways will be exposed to us. Its all going to be speculation since they really haven't leaked any laws yet.  :'(
Back to the top

Thanks Arbo for this article. Here is a clip of it, I copied to reaffirm the truth about all those "Near Misses" between full size and "drones".
"Which raises an interesting question: Just how big a threat is posed by drones anyway? Yes, pilots do report being buzzed by remotely piloted devices, and FAA officials promptly publicize each incident. But when the Academy of Model Aeronautics (which is represented on the new drone registration task force) examined the FAA data in September, it found that only 3.5 percent of the agency's 764 recorded incidents were real near misses between drones and piloted aircraft, with many more "incidents" consisting of nothing more than sightings. In the serious cases, hobbyists weren't the big problem. "Some  of  the  most  serious  incidents  in  the  FAA  data–including  all  actual  crashes–involve government-authorized military drones, not civilian drones," the group reported."

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.