Skip navigation

New Heli Build-Gaui X5 Formula

Thanks Anthony, I did some more research last night and came up with a few possibilities: I found out reading their terrible instructions that if the esc looses connection with the fbl/satellites for .25 S, the esc goes into protection mode and immediately cuts the throttle till it regains connection. This kinda had me thinking that since I still retained control over the cyclic/tail the whole time, I doubt it was due to a brown-out. I read somewhere that people use hot glue on the servo leads going into the fbl/receiver to keep them in place and I was curious what your take is on this.

I also had the chance to talk to Dave, the owner of Anythingheli.com which is where I bought my X5 kit and all the electronics except for the bd3sx. He told me that it is a common problem with these esc's cutting out because of running too low of a throttle curve. Apparently they don't like it and overheat fairly quickly.  He suggested either running a higher head speed or dropping a pinion size to get the esc somewhere in the 90% tc range. He also suggested that the servos I'm running are outside the HW's built-in bec's limits which I don't really agree with. I agree with you that the esc should be able to easily handle my setup. The main reason I got this esc is because of it's high capacity bec. He suggested either going with a Western Robotics external bec or get a CC Talon 90 or and Ice 100. One thing I don't like about the HW is no data-logging so no codes which I know a Castle can do but I have heard mixed reviews on their internal bec's.

Tonight I ran two packs (each 8 min a piece) through her in the wind at a 90% flat tc and she never missed a beat. I also hit her with a temp gun right after. Motor 114*, both the esc w/fan and battery 97*, ail and pit servos 93* and the ele and tail servos at 87*. The canopy as much as I like it, is similar to the Diablo in that with a full wrap around it doesn't provide much airflow to cool the electronics.

Tomorrow if the weather holds up I'm going to try taking the bec voltage down a notch to either 8 V or 7.4 V and see if I can get the Demon to reboot without the cap plugged into it.             
Back to the top

I used to use Shoe goo on my connections into a device, but everything that I'm using right now fits very tight. Back in the day I used to glue in everything on the beast x cause everything used to fit really loose. I'm not sure about the Demon, but when it doubt glue it !

If the BEC can take 10 amp cont., and 25 amp burst I would think you would be easily safe. Especially on a 500 sized helicopter. He maybe right if he is suggesting it because they may have over rated the BEC on the esc.

As far as the BEC voltage I would suggest keeping it at 8.4 because the higher voltage should be easier on the unit. It would have to work harder to knock the voltage lower, and the higher voltage would keep the amperage s down.

Right now I'm not a firm believer in BEC units especially after all the crap that I've been through with my Diabolo. After you run a BEC you should still back up everything with a backup guard so I would suggest just running a 1500 mah 2s LIPO for all the electronics. In the end you will be fool proof, and lighter than a BEC with a back up. Constant power, and the lipo will be able to handle all the peak pulls of your electronics easily. Best thing about 2s lipo is that they are only 15 bucks.

After hearing all of this I'm sad to hear that the Hobbywings are so problem some.  If the 90% TC helps then good, but what happens when running the gov?! It will not be running the 90% unless your pushing it. I might have to agree hearing all of this even more with changing to a different ESC before things get worse. I would still ask for my money back!

Back to the top

Ya, I'm kinda disappointed too. Running thegov at 90% would leave it with almost no headroom to work with possibly causing a over amp condion and shutting down the esc anyway. How do you feel about CC?
Back to the top

I have used several castle esc's and still do. I have a cc50lv, cc75LV, cc80hv, cc120hv, and cc160hv. I use a a fbl gov on every single one and haven't used their gov in a long time. I've never used the newer style Talon's and really don't know much about them. All the castle esc that I've tried have worked flawlessly. Even during the days when they seemed to be catching fire everywhere.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.