Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

New Heli Build-Gaui X5 Formula

So the build is finally complete and basic configuration of the Bavarian Demon 3SX fbl unit is done. Now it's time to test it out and fine tune it!!
Gaui X5 Formula
Back to the top

Looking good!
Back to the top

So tonight I started playing around with the internal governor on the Hobbywing platinum pro v3 esc since my fbl unit does support a governor. I was actually surprised how easy it was to set up without a programming box. All I had to do was calibrate throttle channel endpoints and put the esc in governor store mode. Then set a 50% flat throttle curve and a flat 0* pitch curve on idle up 1. You then just let the heli spool up on its own for 20 seconds or so while it senses and saves motor speed for half throttle, that's it. Set the pitch curve back to a linear one and a flat throttle curve between 60% and 85% based on desired head speed and your done. Since I don't own a tach, calculating it mathematically running a 16 tooth pinion, at 85% throttle should give me a governed head speed of 2500 rpm. That was exactly what I was shooting for. I also started playing with the head and tail gains. I'm pretty happy with the tail but still working on the head gain. Glad to finally see it fly!! :)  
Back to the top

You may not want to activate the Esc gov quite yet. You might want to run a flat throttle curve until you get the tail tuned it. If the gains are off the tail will give you a pretty good wag. After you get the tail tuned in then start tuning in the gov, and it will bypass a whole lotta frustration.

If you have an Iphone you can get the "Heli Tach" app and do a head speed tach via audibly, and is very accurate. If you don't have an iphone the I could help you out. Let me know if you need any help.
Back to the top

Thanks Anthony, we need to get togeather sometime this spring/summer. I'm not even close to the level of flying helis that your at but I have enjoyed it so far. It's definitely a much steeper learning curve compared to flying planks. This X5 is my first experience setting up a flybarless heli so there's still a lot to be learned.
Back to the top

I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far. Helicopters are tough to get into,  and keep you learning for years! Don't feel like anyone is judging your flying ability either! We are all learning, and we all need help sooner or later. Seems like you're picking things up pretty quick, and will have little problems getting things sorted out.

If you do need help, or just want to fly let me know!
Back to the top

It's good to see Anthony and AJ supporting each other.  Sorry that some of us old farts are flying during the week rather than on the weekends. When the wind bloweth, I'm on a hill somewhere throwing a perfectly good EPP sloper off into the wild rising air. Sometimes, I even land in a decent fashion. When the winds scare you powered flyers, us slope nuts are just in heaven. My last trip to Flat Top was almost in the epoch range. Really awesome lift. Fly till you gotta pee, or are worried that your batteries are depleted. Hmm, I wonder if a heli could auto rotate into the rising air on the slope. Landing might be a bit hard on a complex machine like a heli.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Full size helicopters have a L/D of 4 to 1 in autorotation, so it might be possible! Any volunteers?  :lol:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Sometimes I do pee a little when I fly, but I bet from other reasons.

There are people that have done slope flying with helicopters, but unfortunately I'm not that good nor brave.
Back to the top

I'm with Anthony on this one. It's hard enough flying in the wind let alone worrying about trying to land softly at the bottom of flat top with a $1500+ heli!! No Thanks! 
Back to the top

So strange problems with the X5 this evening that maybe one of you can shed some light on. I was trying to tune out a tail jump during punch outs but thats a different story. Anyway about 4 minutes into the flight in a hover all of sudden my motor completely cuts off. Luckily all it got was the skids since I had pretty much bleed off any rotor speed I had from a failed attempt at an auto-rotation from 25 feet up. Guess I need to have some more practice in the sim with auto-rotations!! My esc came down barely warm and my motor was mildly warm. (I was able to hold my hand on the can for multiple seconds) My esc is a Hobbywing 100A Pro V3 and my motor is a Scorpion 4020-890kv. Im running a 80% flat throttle curve as per Anthony's advice with 10* max pitch. (nothing crazy) I'm running 5* timing and 8khz pwm as per stock Scorpion specs. The most aggressive maneuver I can do is a full collective punch out with a piro or two thrown in the middle. I think I read somewhere that esc's don't like running at that low of a pwm but I can't remember.I'm kinda thinking my Hobbywing esc "hobbywigged out". Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Allen  

P.S. That was my first crash with a Heli that wasn't directly my fault. I don't know if I should celebrate or pull my hair out. A least before I knew what the cause of the crash was! Loose nut on the sticks!!!  :lol:
Back to the top

I feel for you for crashing, but sometimes its best to get that first crash out of the way.

A few things to check out first.
1. What was your packs end flight voltage?
2. What is your esc's low voltage cut off voltage set to?
3. What is your esc's low voltage cut off type set to? Is it set to hard or soft cut off?

I've heard some of the new Hobbywings don't like high timing and can cut out. I haven't heard about high pwm causing that, but I really haven't been keeping up with Hobbywing.
Back to the top

Browsed around HF, and found that many people are having the same issues as you are. Some are finding different solutions like bad solder joints, ferrite rings, bad esc, issues with Spektrum sats, and the list goes on…  Some haven't found the issue yet.

I would check out your cut off settings first, and check to make sure you didn't have a brown out also. Then start practicing some auto's on the sim!
Back to the top

When it came down battery voltage was at 23.60 V with a max variance of .025 V between cells. Low voltage cut off set to the default middle position and the cutoff mode set to soft. I heard that high pwm can cause the esc to heat up more due to the faster internal switching. Some more information, my cell count is set to auto detect and my internal bec is set to 8.4 V. When I first set this thing up I was able to cause the Demon to reboot on the bench (which takes approximately four seconds)  by stirring the cyclic stick but I was able to resolve that by adding a 4700 uf capacitor to an unused port on the Demon. My esc also didn't come with a ferrite ring but I have thought about adding one. It's kinda weird that some HW esc's came with them and some didn't. When the motor cut out I never lost cyclic or tail control so I don't believe a brown out occurred but without logging capabilities I can't be sure. I couldn't tell last night cause I was too focused on keeping it level when it went down but my girlfriend swears that she could here the esc trying to re-spool the motor right before impact. I also did some research on HF and found similar complaints that have occurred recently but no definitive culprit.     
Back to the top

Something is really wrong if you have to use a capacitor in your bec. The bec should easily handle your setup. If it wasn't a brown out then there is a major issue with the esc. It's is not a wimpy bec. 

Strangely on HF I saw issues with the same fbl controller as you too. Could be a compatibility issue which isn't good because this esc is new & untested. 

My opinion the pulse width modulation really can't be the issue because you have it set pretty low already. Also that motor can't be over 10 poles so it should still be on vacation running that motor. 

What error code was the esc giving you? That may shed some light on this. If you didn't get the code then I would try to duplicate it on the bench with no blades. 

I would get in contact with Hobbywing on the phone if they have one. Might be worth asking for a refund with this bad esc's track record and find something else with that you know will work. I've had my fair share of esc problems so I feel for ya. 

On my Logo 550 sx I have the yge90 running a scorpion 4025-1100 and it has a built in BEC. I've never had a single issue with it. Doesn't look cool but has a impressive track record. I'm not saying to buy one,but there shouldn't a single issue with this sized esc especially on a easy maiden flight. 

Hobbywing has always be a good cheaper esc on the market. I thought they really stepped up with their new line of electronics and really impressed with their 160/200 hv line. I've heard the same issues with the big ones as you're having.

My opinion is you have a bad esc with the chatter online about all sizes are doing this. These maybe a to good to be true product. They are cheap for all that they are advertised to be. 

Good luck!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.