Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Slope Flying...

I have this still sitting in my shed.  Not sure the maker, but it's clearly for a fan over 5 inches... big model.  Will have to do a bit of research to see what it is.

So should I bother with building it as an edf, or just put it together for a nice scale sloper?

Back to the top

Is a AMD/JHH T-45…    
Back to the top

I think I remember seeing that in your shop. Ah it would make a really cool slope machine.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

spent some time cleaning it up, it looks white again... now back to cleaning out the shop today.
Back to the top

I just watched a video of the T-45 with the 12 blade fan. You are right, the 12 blade fan completely changes the sound of an EDF jet. It does sound more like an actual turbine.

Back to the top

Yeah a world of difference in the sound.

I cleaned this one up, it is nice and white.   Thinking of what I need to do to make it a sloper…. I do not want servo's on the bottom of the wing.  So i pulled the covering on the wings… some color remained, sanded most of it off.   Pulled some wire through the wings so I can easier pull servo wires later.    Going to cover the openings and make new one's on the top for ailerons.    Also pulled out the torque tubes for flaps as they were sketchy and did not allow much down.  Will make openings for flap servo's as well.  Then glass the wing… light on the top, rugged on the bottom, perhaps some kevlar on the bottom and LE as well to help protect it some in landings.
Back to the top

Trying to figure out what sort of servo's I will need.  Actually I don't think anything beyond standard servo's is needed….   Thoughts Jim?
Back to the top

put light in cutout so i could outline the shape.  cut wood to fill it.   and can see full size hitec servo's where they will go for flap and aileron. 

Back to the top

I'll bet that the standard servos will work just fine. It's probably not going to turn out that heavy, but I'll bet it's going to be quick.

Back to the top

first layer of glass on the bottom.

Back to the top

to 'cover' the nose wheel cutout, taped some plastic over it, and filled the nose with expanding foam.  Will glass over that. 
Back to the top

good way to do it. I always worry that the foam will expand more than I want it to and cause some damage, like deforming the nose in this case.

Back to the top

I thought it was a good way, but with so much expanding foam in there, it wasn't curing.  So i took the plastick off, and over time it came growing out of that hole.  Which is no problem to cut back and glass later.  Figure I better give it a couple days to make sure the center is not soft still.     I even shot some up in the vertical just to give it a little extra strength.

Filled the ducts as well.

Also made a cover for where the top hatch would be out of foam, have it roughed into about the right shape and glued in place.  Figured there is LOADS of access to the internals when the wing is off.

So far fuse, wing, horizontals and control surfaces, at 4 lbs 12 oz.  I think I can come in under 7 or real close.  
Back to the top

2 layers of glass over the balsa/foam filling the intakes.

4 layers over the forward wheel well.
Back to the top

You using West Systems epoxy?

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.