Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Carl Shoup has passed away.

Everyone,

At just a little after 1:00 am yesterday morning, our friend, Association President, and long time Association member, passed away as the effects of his illness overcame his ability to fight them off. Some of his family members were with him at the time.

We will miss Carl greatly. I will miss Carl greatly. He had a very strong personality, and a very giving soft side as well. Happy flying and shooting my friend.

Carl's sister, Rose, tells me that his service will be on Saturday (May 28th) at 11:00 am at the Jubilee Family Church, located at 483  30 Road in Grand Junction. As we learn more, we will update this post. I'm sure that Carl's family and his ex wife Abagail will greatly appreciate thoughts and memories you share here.

On the morning of Wednesday, May 25, I learned from Carl's sister that the family is asking that if people wish to donate to a charity in Carl's name the charity is MMAA. He has also donated his truck and welder to MMAA. There was never any doubt in my mind that MMAA and model aviation played a very large part in his life.  

Carl's obituary is here: 

http://colorado.obituaries.funeral.com/2016/05/26/carl-shoup/

Jim  

PS: If you have memories or messages for Carl's family, please post them in this thread. In order to keep this post at the top of the home page, please refrain from posting on other threads for a few days. Thank you.

Carl was a giving man, especially when it came to kids. He'd go out of his way to help them have a good experience with their attempts at modeling. The first photo below shows three students from our basic model building class. Carl donated the airplane kits (his design and he cut the kits himself), and the engines. The second and third photos are from the 2009 Special Needs Airshow in Grand Junction. The modeling side of the airshow was entirely Carl's baby. Carl gave handicapped children the experience of flying a control line model. In some cases, with small children, Carl would hold them in his arms while helping them to control the plane. The looks on some of their faces was priceless. Hopefully at least a few of these kids will remember their experience with him and the airplane they flew.  The 4th photo is from one of the nine or so Men in the Mix events that Carl participated in, showing Carl building foam plate gliders with the kids.  Photo 5 is Carl at our 2008 New Years Day Chili Fly. He could always be counted on for a huge pot of chili, his big trailer with a heater, and his generator to run electric stuff. 
Carl with students from our Basic Model Building Class.

Carl at the 2008 Chili Fly

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I'll be there at the service for Carl.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Thank you Jim and Randy.  Abigail and Rose asked me to give them an idea on how many people might attend the services on Saturday.  Please let us know on this thread so I can let them know how to prepare.  They really want this celebration of Carl's life to be good and special for everyone.
Back to the top

Don, I think we're going to have to make the calls to everyone again to see how many folks are planning to attend. I don't think there is another way to do it that would give us any sort of reliable estimate.

At this point Don, Randy, James K., Gary, Mike R., Eric, Bror, Rob D. and I are the only ones we know of who plan to attend.

Back to the top

We lost a good one. Rest in peace Carl.
Back to the top

I am trying to get some things lined up so that I can attend. ***UPDATE**** Was able to to get done what needed to be done so Jenny and I will be there for the service but won't be able to hang around much after. We will have room for 1 or 2 riders if anyone needs a ride. 

Last edit: by weavera

Back to the top

It looks like James K. will try to carpool with me on Saturday.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Eric and I are hoping our bods will cooperate so we can make the funeral. Planning on it so far.
Back to the top

I just got back in town today. Don called me while I was on the road and gave me the bad news. I will truely miss you Carl, My friend. I plan to go to the funeral but I have to be back in montrose by 3:00. Sorry but it is unavoidable. It was quite a shock to hear this and am sad that I wasn't able to go and see him. I have got room for one to go with me if you don't mind leaving early.
Back to the top

Great, I'll add Bror, Mike, and Eric to the list of attendees in the 4th post from the top. 

Back to the top

Mike, just called you about the empty seat you have.

Back to the top

Well, it was a wonderful service for Carl. He had many friends and family there. The slideshow was great, showing Carl's history and upbringing with many photos of his past accomplishments. Many of them I had no idea. He was a kind and caring man mixed with a bunch of fiestiness.
He was good at what he accomplished. After the lunch reception, there was a fire in a pop-up camper a few feet away. Carl went out with a bang, at least a hiss when the propane tank on the camper let go. It was quite an exciting memorial service.
He will be missed.  

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

It was a very nice service for Carl. Lots of people are going to miss him beyond MMAA. 
Back to the top

It will take some time before his loss really sinks in. I couldn't agree more with Randy and Andrew. Strange how you can know a person for over 20 years and at his service learn how much you didn't know about the man :( .

Back to the top

It is so funny, you cannot judge a book by it's cover.  I judged this book by it's cover and I was wrong. It pays, sometimes, to give someone a chance. It's just so sad he went so soon, just as I started to get to know him.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.