Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Sailplane Saturday ALES

For the sailplane nuts out there. Saturday is one of our 2 days per month when sailplanes rule the roost at Centennial Field, and I propose that we have our first Altitude Limited Electric Soaring (ALES) event. Since this is the first time, and our pilots are needing some experience with this whole thing, we will use the 30 second motor run as the cutoff as opposed to a specific altitude limit. The rest of the rules will include a 10 minute duration task, and a "spot" landing task. There is nothing like a little competition to strengthen your flying skills. I'll be there. Remember, when the thermals get popping out there it'll be HOT. Bring plenty of liquids. 

Questions? Post them here, or PM me. 

Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

This will be fun! It is a "friendly" competition. The idea is to launch, after 30 seconds turn your motor/engine off, stay up 10 minutes and land, on the spot at 10 minutes exactly. The time can be adjusted as necessary for the lift conditions. If the Contest Director says 6 minutes, we all land in 6 minutes, etc. You get extra bonus points, the closer you land to the "spot". It's easy and it's fun. ;)

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Well, it should be good weather. The road in might be a different story.........

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Today, the weather was good, for a while, the road wasn't. Tomorrow, should be much better. We'll have the ALES tryout at 12:00. That is, Jim F. and I and who ever would like to join us. Altitude Limited Electric Soaring. Here is a link.

http://www.ales.org

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Tippodriver and I had a good time today. We flew a couple  of times up to great heights. We flew with a couple of buzzards and red-tail hawks along with a Golden Eagle, that tried to chase my glider out of its territory with its claws. Pretty exciting day as we flew 30 second motor runs and then flew for about 15 to 20 minutes, all without the motors! We flew so high and the lift was taking them higher, we had to fly into downdrafts to get them down!
It's fun flying with the solar energy that takes you up to where no lark or even eagle flew. ;)

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

We got so caught up in the thermals, we forgot to think about the 10 minute period when you are supposed to land. It was a good time. Too bad more of you weren't out with us. Our mascot cottontails, especially one, were with us all afternoon.

We want more folks to join in, so  even if you don't have an electric launch glider, you can participate using the winch or a high start. You'll just have a disadvantage starting at a lower altitude.

Back to the top

I should be getting my phoenix 2000 this week, so I could partake as well.  I mentioned it to byron and he seemed interested as well.
Back to the top

Great Scott, now we'll have everybody flying gliders out there. And it used to be such a peaceful place! :lol:
Just kidding! The more the merrier. Let's fly our gliders and enjoy some of the hot air flying around the field! :P

Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

when is the next soaring out there?
Back to the top

Hopefully, this weekend. Jim and I should be out there.
 Hope you can make it Paul and Byron.

Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I'm trying to get my motor glider repaired so I can join in. Still have the Super Sniffer and Park Panther if all else fails! I wonder how fast I can build the Sophisticated Lady kit?
Back to the top

Gary, that would be nice. Bring what ever you can. I might have a surprise out there, maybe. ;)

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

A surprise? You've peaked my interest. Some of Brenda's treats?

Gary, I thought you had a Spectra that you got from the collection of airplanes that Bob Dawirs donated to the Association? Did it bite the big one?

Back to the top

Just let us know what time and if it's sat or sunday, will plan to be there.   
Back to the top

Jim,

I still have the Aspire from Bob. We burned up the motor but the airframe is fine. I haven't had time to upgrade it to an out-runner so I'm just installing an old fashioned brushed motor for now.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.