Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Sailplane Saturday ALES

Excellent, is Saturday or Sunday more preferable for you responsible types? 

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I can make it either day. NWS predicts wind gusts as high as 20 mph on Saturday, from the NW if I remember correctly. The slope behind the field may work if the wind is constant enough.

I didn't find anything  about wind gusts on any of the other weather sites I looked at. Along with my Aspire I can charge a couple of my slope planes and be prepared to do either. I'll be ready Freddy.  Does this mean I'm responsible? OMG!

I'll bring a package of brats or dogs, someone else bring buns and condiments. 

You may notice that I figured out how to get the website to post the two sailplane days/month on each monthly calendar; first Saturday and 3rd Sunday. 

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I saw some wind saturday, but at least it will be sunny.  Sunday looks to possibly be cloudy which is bad for thermals isn't it?
Back to the top

Generally you are right, but it depends on a number of things. A couple of weeks ago, we had a big cloud bank move in and figured we were done  for the day, but we hit the jackpot. The only reason we landed was we started to wonder if a big gust front might hit while we were still in the air. Didn't happen at the field, but did happen here in Montrose. You know it doesn't matter if we find strong stuff or not. Having to scrape for something and try to work small bubbles of lift to stay aloft is all part of the challenge and learning curve. You've got a new plane to get used to anyway. I sure don't have Dale's eye for lift, but haven't flown thermal as much as he has. Still there are those days that are so cool. Like staying aloft over the cabanas in the hot air rising from them and being able to tack back and forth about 10 feet above them for quite a while. Too bad John is gone, I can't ask him to verify that anymore. He was a good man and sure loved his gliders.

Were you with us when he had to land his Aspire at the base of Flat Top and some kids drove up and made off with the plane before he could drive to the bottom to get it. Said they didn't think it belonged to anyone.  

See you about 10ish. Randy will be later, maybe around noon since he's got to work in the morning. 

Jim

Back to the top

Thanks, Jim,

I'll be there around noon with the Jester.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Randy, Would that "surprise" be of British origin?
Back to the top

We'll be there sometime before noon. Gotta do some business in the morning but it should go quickly. I'll bring a couple of old timers.
Back to the top

Great day, fellows! We had some good flying by Gary H. and Sabin, Byron M., Paul A. brought out his new Phoenix and it flew well. I loved that voice on his transmitter! :lol:
It was totally programmable. Thank you Jim F. for the brats and buns, they were delicious.
We had good lift and some good duration. Gary and Sabin brought out their antique park flyers, which flew very well in the breeze. Paul slope soared his foam wing (Bee)?
It was also a pleasure to see and have AJ fly his helicopter. He flew some very interesting maneuvers with the machine and shared some great camaraderie and stories. Paul should have some photos to follow from his very nice camera. All in all, it was good to see folks flying and having a good time out at the field. Gary I'll call you when the Tiger Moth is ready, I'll need your help. Thanks, :thumbs:

Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

That was a hoot. It was great to see everybody and the swarm of gliders in the air all at the same time. I read the tutorial Randy posted on finding thermals and put it to good use today. Even learned a bit about choppers from AJ. Good stuff.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Thanks Paul, those are nice.
Say, would something like this at our field be good?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Yeah, I like the glider gathering idea. Kind of what we intended last.weekend.  could be done next year and advertised in model aviation. Perhaps we could locate a really open grass pasture with few obstacles to eat gliders.

Back to the top

BTW, seeing that date, sept 23-24-25 is the fall Blue Mesa (willow creek) fly.
Back to the top

That's right, it is. Are you going also, Paul? 

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Unless some sort of emergency comes up, hell yeah.  And I hope for some good and big wind.   I want to maiden my K2m and D40 and make sure I have them tweaked in.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.