Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Crawford Airport/Oktoberfest Fly In

mriceflinter said

OK so who is comming saturday? I plan to bring 3 planes. Dont know if I will fly them all but it is always good to bring extras. After talking to Jim, I am planning to make calls starting this evening. If members will please let us know by way of this forum it will hopefully save me time on the phone. Thanks in advance. Randy, does the tiger moth have turnbuckles on the flying wires? also do you have a wing incidence meter? It may help on the rigging. If you don't have one, I will bring mine.   Mike
Hi Mike,
I have an incidence meter, buried in storage. Please bring yours, if you would. The flying wires are looped and crimped through clevises.

Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here's another link to the history of the Crawford airport with some photos: http://www.coloradoairporthistory.com/stories/story-crawford.htm

I took some sailplane lessons here in Lynn's Blanik sailplane in the mid eighties. The Blanik is still there, although all of them have been grounded in the U.S. There are about 5 sailplanes stationed there.  The Staggerwing and Smith mini-plane that were at the Airport Appreciation Day during August are there. 

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

ok, here's what we have in the way of food so far:

Andrew: salad and veggies.
Mike Rice: hamburgers, buns, condiments, chips, spatula to flip burgers,
Jim F.: brats, buns, tongs.

Needed yet: drinks, DESERT :) , potato salad, maybe some hors d'oeuvres (snacks), plates, and plastic ware etc.,

If for some reason you have difficulty locating the correct house where we'll stage our activities, Don Geddes phone number is 970-424-7777. He is being very accommodating. We'll still plan on a pilot's meeting at 10:00 before flying so that everyone agrees which portion of the sky we'll use, how to handle those radios that are still on FM frequencies. What to do if a full scale airplane does show up wanting to land, Etc.  Don tells me that there is some tall grass close to the runway near his place that will work well for the sailplanes. Afternoon winds tend to pick up at this place, so be prepared for a quartering headwind WSW,  Although I was going to ask if anyone has a gas bottle they can bring for the grille, Don has already taken his grille and gas bottle out for us. Still, if someone has room for a propane bottle, bring it along so that we're not using his propane too. Looks like a warm sunny day awaits us. 

Bring your cameras.

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Back to the top

I will not be there.  I had two weeks in north carolina for work followd by this week away in aspen for work.  So i feel like being home for a change.
Back to the top

Even though it is a long drive for me, I will try and be there. I haven't flown for quite a while, but I'll bring a plane or two. All of my stuff is still on 72mhz.
Jim Z.
Back to the top

Not to worry Jim. If you can't make it, we'll all drop by for a while. Your place is awfully far off the beaten path though. Down over the hill from the runway and all.  See you tomorrow.

Hope things are going a bit better.

Back to the top

We had a decent showing of members and visits from local folks who live in the community surrounding this private airport. The wind and turbulence made flying difficult, but some of us braved the conditions and brought our planes home to fly another day.  The scenery was great, temperature was just right, the drive up was beautiful, and of course the company of our fellow members was a treat. We must see if Lynn French will allow us to fly there again this coming year. 

Don Geddes hosted us at his home and was as unbelievably gracious. He provided the location, sodas, a grille, picnic table, and much more. Even a tour of the hangars with the Stearman, Staggerwing, and other aircraft, including some pending projects (a Waco SRE for example).  He even brought out an antique metal pedal airplane for Joshua to ride. Thank you so very much Don, you really made our day. 

Thanks to Margie and Mike, Andrew, Jim, and Eric and Bror for bringing food. The following other members also showed up: Isaiah, Mike Mclain, Gary Heard, and Jim Zimmerly. Below is a photo of our group and the little runway we had available. I should have taken more photos to show the full size aircraft, including the RV-6 that took off shortly after we got there, and the scenery.  Click on the photo below to see it in full size.

Back to the top

A good time was had by all. I had no idea there was so much going on at that tiny little airport. Pretty cool!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.