Skip navigation

Chili Fly, Jan 1

Don't forget that on New Years Day we'll be holding our annual Chili Fly at our Centennial Field. This is your chance to get in your first flight of the year; it doesn't matter what kind of flying thing you commit to the air. As always this is a potluck event. Bring chili, corn bread, cider, cocoa, desert, etc. Dress warm because unlike the past we won't have the luxury of Carl's trailer and heater this year. We'll all miss him. But, we've done it before. 

Have skis or floats ready in case we have enough snow on the runway. Some years the flying can be a challenge, but we always have a good time. Don't worry about the road, if you want to get in there and don't have a four wheel drive, we'll shuttle you in or get you in somehow. More information will magically appear here as it becomes available. 

Jim

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Will there be someone to take money for membership renewals, there?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

As secretary I think its my responsibility to take care of that. I have a couple of new planes I want to fly too.

I also have a small propane heater we can use if somebody has a trailer?
Back to the top

What time?
Back to the top

I have to work, darn it. Which airplanes, Gary?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

DSCN0753.JPG
You can check get the plans here:
http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=193
Its a Peter Rake design from the UK. It is a treat to fly in no wind conditions. Its called a RAF B.E.12a and as far as I can tell there were about a dozen variations. I used a Park 480 and covered it with polyspan.

Last edit: by gsheard

Back to the top

10 AM till ???

I also have a couple of propane heaters I will bring. One of our new members said we could use his enclosed car hauler, we will have to see what the road conditions are like as we get closer. If the road is soggy & muddy, we probably won't be able to get the trailer out there. 

I will bring a big pot of chili. 
Back to the top

Make sure your AMA membership is paid & you can pay your MMAA dues at the field. We will extend the $45 renewal to January 1 so you can pay at the field. After that it is $60, so save some money! (You can mail your renewal in or PayPal it too)
Back to the top

MMAA's PayPal account for payments is:
payments@mmaa-modelairplanes.org

Back to the top

Attachment
40 views (6 MB)

Maybe this one if there's NO wind!
Back to the top

Wow, looks neat. :thumbs:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

THE ROAD AND THE  RUNWAY ARE TOTALLY DRY. You can get in there with a prius, or a corvette as long as you don't mind getting them dusty. No kidding the road is that good.

Last edit: by Tippodriver

Back to the top

Warming Trailer

We have a WONDERFUL trailer to warm up in. THANK YOU George!!!
Back to the top

We had an excellent showing for the Chili Fly. I'm guessing that there were 18 people there, with a wide variety of airplanes. Andrew made 2 crock pots of chili that were outstanding. There were several batches of corn bread, a wide variety of deserts, and drinks.  Andrew even brought some boxed coffee (just add water, and activate the chemical heating pouch, and in a jiffy you have coffee. Not bad either.) The temperature cooperated, but for those who needed a periodic warm up, there was the heat in the trailer that Andrew brought.

It was nice to see a few spouses, and children. A couple of people were given some instruction time on Jim's trainer. The students, the trainer, and Jim survived. Paul had a small electric racer that was so fast that, especially against the grey clouds, many of us simply couldn't keep track of. Don't know how Paul managed it. The opposite end of the speed spectrum was represented by Gary's Aeronca C-3, a Pat Tritle designed kit.

Sad thing was that a few of us had cameras, but were so busy we took no photos. If you were there and did take some photos, please post them, or let me know you have them and I'll give you my email address so you can send them to me. If you didn't make it, you missed out on a really good time.

Jim

Back to the top

Things are looking bright for the association if we have more turnouts like that. All good folks and it looked like everybody was enjoying themselves.

It was great to see a couple of guys bring their Mrs. and good to see some kids around as well. It helps create the atmosphere we've been lacking and hoping to regain.

We missed you Randy and Don but maybe you can make it next time.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.