Skip navigation

Heli's Hanger (everything chopper related, quadcopters too!)

When you going flying, next, AJ? Welcome back, Anthony.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

i used to have a little mpcx or some such blade heli.. the little fully acrobatic.  Was great to learn with because on grass if you messed up you could throttle down and just let it bounce off the grass with no damage most of the time because it was so light.

It seems they no longer make that.

So what is the new small acrobatic collective pitch heli to get that is pretty inexpensive for parts, and somewhat durable to re-learning?
Back to the top

Rotorman said

Not sure but I have a new unbuilt Trex 450 Pro that I picked up a while ago for a really good price. I was planning on putting it into an Air Wolf fuselage that currently has Trex Plus DFC mechanics with a Align 3G MRS fbl. The Pro came with a Align 3GX but I'm undecided if I'm going to use it.

I really enjoyed my Trex 450 pro Flybarred and thought a fuselage on it would be cool. Never tried a 3gx, or 3g before…

RRMerlin said

You whirly guys speak English;)? Maybe any photos of what some of these things are so I can start to figure out what a Gaui or Xbar are. I don't know beans about flying things without wings, but figure something like this could fit well with the places I have to fly (the West End near Paradox).

haha, I probably don't speak it English as well as I should. I'll try to post up some pictures.

Pilatuspc12 said

:P

Arbo said

i used to have a little mpcx or some such blade heli.. the little fully acrobatic.  Was great to learn with because on grass if you messed up you could throttle down and just let it bounce off the grass with no damage most of the time because it was so light.

It seems they no longer make that.

So what is the new small acrobatic collective pitch heli to get that is pretty inexpensive for parts, and somewhat durable to re-learning?

I'm not really up with what is out there for an acrobatic CP heli in a micro size. I have to look into it.
Back to the top

The cool thing with Blade is almost everything they have right now has "safe" built into the receiver. You can learn hovering and all orientations with safe on and then when you are ready to progress you simply flip a toggle switch on you transmitter to disable it essentially giving you two heli's in one. You can also switch modes midflight in case you get into trouble. 
Back to the top

This sounds like a good way to learn. :thumbs: Just like the fixed wing systems.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

So the last few nights I have been tearing into a used trex 500 pro dfc. I'm completely stripping it down to the frame and going over everything. Mainly checking bearings and making sure everything has loctite. 

The main shaft bearings were horrible. So notchy if felt like sand was in them. I couldn't find a set of bearings that are sealed with a metal seal so I'm going to try a set of plastic sealed bearings. I don't know if they will be able to handle the rpm of the main rotor shaft without melting the plastic though. Has anyone tried ceramic bearings? If so are they worth all the extra money?
Back to the top

Don't do ceramic bearings as they are very brittle. Lots of money, and don't survive a crash. ABEC 5 will do great… 3 even

I'm assuming you bought Beto's heli. He had troubles with the 3gx as I remember, and locktite. From what I remember of that one is it needs a high headspeed to keep the tail because the tail ratio is low.
Back to the top

I actually ended up buying all three. A trex 450 pro with a micro beast on it, a 500 parts heli that I'm planning on putting the  flybarred head back on and this trex 500 pro that came with a skookum 540 fbl unit. The 450 pro was good to go when I got it home but the 2 500's were not completely assembled and set up.

So the problem I found with the sk540 was it would not connect to my computer at all after downloading the set up software. I figured maybe it needs a firmware update to be able to communicate with Windows 10 but it wouldn't even let me do that. So really frustrated at this point I pulled out an old notebook that is running Windows XP. Well it alowed me to connect to it and update the firmware so thought sweet it should be good to go now, wrong still won't talk to skookum's software. I was thinking to myself wtf is going on with this thing. Went back to the notebook with Windows 10 and now it works just fine. I actually liked their software, really easy to use once you can get it to talk to it. So I've since set the heli up again and done a few test hops in the backyard. Your right Anthony it definetly loves high head speeds.

Thanks for the info on the ceramic bearings cause I wasn't sure.
Back to the top

Something seems wrong, but I'm not sure since I haven't dealt with Skookum in a few years. I have 3 or 4 Skookum units that you can have in case that the unit you have can be defective. Let me know.
Back to the top

I thought it was weird too but since updating the firmware it seems to be working. Did you recall your brother having issues with it in the past? 

Thanks for the offer. If your no longer using them I may take you up on it for a few bucks.
Back to the top

I don't think my brother ever actually used or setup a sk.  I've probably setup at least 6 units and never had an issue like that. 

Maybe I should pull mine out and try updating one to see what happens. 

Just let me know if you would like one or more of mine. I know they aren't selling on hf so I wouldn't mind giving them away. 
Back to the top

Rotorman said

I actually ended up buying all three. A trex 450 pro with a micro beast on it, a 500 parts heli that I'm planning on putting the  flybarred head back on and this trex 500 pro that came with a skookum 540 fbl unit. The 450 pro was good to go when I got it home but the 2 500's were not completely assembled and set up.

So the problem I found with the sk540 was it would not connect to my computer at all after downloading the set up software. I figured maybe it needs a firmware update to be able to communicate with Windows 10 but it wouldn't even let me do that. So really frustrated at this point I pulled out an old notebook that is running Windows XP. Well it alowed me to connect to it and update the firmware so thought sweet it should be good to go now, wrong still won't talk to skookum's software. I was thinking to myself wtf is going on with this thing. Went back to the notebook with Windows 10 and now it works just fine. I actually liked their software, really easy to use once you can get it to talk to it. So I've since set the heli up again and done a few test hops in the backyard. Your right Anthony it definetly loves high head speeds.

Thanks for the info on the ceramic bearings cause I wasn't sure.

So I have one of my SK540's connected to my win 7 laptop that I've kept from updating to windows 10. Its connected, but thought of a possible issue you can be having.

I noticed that mine took a few minutes to load up the driver for the sk540 to be recognized by the computer. Or you need to download the driver for the sk540.
Back to the top

That's possible although I was reading on hf about issues connecting sk540's with older firmware to Windows 8/10. After a firmware update it will connect with no problem to Windows 8/10. Another possibility I read about was the drivers for the sk don't like usb 3.0 and I wasn't paying attention when I plugged it in for the first time. 

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know if I need one. Why are they not selling anymore on hf? I thought I read some where that sk was getting out of the fbl unit business. Maybe that's why.
Back to the top

Pilatuspc12 said

I haven't made it out to the field in a while just been busy with other thing going on. Hopefully the weather will be more cooperative in the next few weeks so I can make it out to the field. Fourtunetly I can always fly in the evenings where I work so I still get a lot of practice in.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.