Skip navigation

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Soling 1 meter sailboat

More fun to come! Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Made a couple of mods to my sailboat. Took it to the club meeting. After the meeting on the way home I stopped at Confluence Lake and tried it again. Wind was a little calmer this time. I had added more keel weight and some control of the jib. seemed to be working better this time. It was cold so didn't stay long.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Excellent Jim, Hopefully tomorrow, I'll put another coat of clear lacquer on the airboat and then we'll be able to use that as a dedicated retrieval boat. Hitec might have an economical retract servo you could use for sail control. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Thanks Randy. I'll check that out. Cliff brought an airboat to the club meeting today. It's not quite finished, but almost.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

how much does hull design play into RC sailboats? Just wondering about making a 3d model in cad and cutting out a hull to make one.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Paul, there are many hull designs and bulkhead template cross sections on the A.M.Y.A.(American Model Yacht Association)website. American Model Yachting Association The simple ones have slab sided hulls and sail just as well as the more rounded, symmetrical ones do. Although, not quite as fast. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

I would pick a design that is wide enough for a sail servo setup like Randys or Jims. Having a real hard time getting used to the winch servo on mine, its constant overshoot or undershoot guessing when the servo will stop.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Hey James, how is the weather in Florida doing? Paul, the Soling boat is 9.25 inches wide at the widest part of the hull. The guys on the AMYA website said this was the smallest beam that would accommodate the sail arm servo that I'm using. The Hitec 815. You could use a smaller servo but would have to modify it electronically to get the required throw necessary for proper sail control. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

I took my boat out today and put it in the water, but the wind was so slight that it barely moved. About an hour later the wind had picked up and it sailed pretty good.[br] [br]
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Looks good, Jim. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

How are the modifications working?
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

It's working better. I now have the jib also controlled and more control of the sails. I probably will try the mod of the servo to get more rotation but haven't yet. It is certainly not a racing yacht like Randy and James, but fun anyway.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Looking good Jim. I am planning on removing the winch servo on mine and going with a set up like yours and Randys. Florida sucks… What does "roll a little spleef and take a weef mean?" [br][br]
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

James, I will be in Key Largo, Ocean Reef Club, Tuesday night. Then over to Tamiami. Where are you berthed at now? Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Randy We are in what they call the "Redneck Riviera" Panama City Beach. My cell is on the fritz, spilled to many boat drinks on it.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.