Skip navigation

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Soling 1 meter sailboat

ok just to let u guys know that is just a pitcher james has in his back room lol

400 ' is high enough to get were you are going
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Well, talked to a buddy from back east, he flies, and has done cars and powered boats and sail boats (just sold his Soling a year ago). He assures me that next to planes, sailboats are the next best thing. Though he prefaces that with there needs to be at least two boats in the water so you can race. So perhaps I'll need to draw up a hull in CAD, cut some foam and fiberglass it.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

All right. Sounds good. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Randy, are boats like the Star 45 any good, or is an actual rounded hull better?
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Glad to see so many people interested in sailing. Hope that we can find a way to meet on a regular basis. Just purchased an Endeavour at Hobby Hut. It's maiden voyage was a resounding success at Baldridge Park in Montrose. I would like to meet any and all who are interested anywhere there is water. Terry[br][br]
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Arbo, a symmetrically rounded hull is the ideal shape as the boat heels to leeward, the idea is to have the same form at the waterline at any angle to minimize drag. As the boat increases in size, you encounter hull efficiency, Reynolds number if you will and the form drag increases exponentially with mass and velocity. The Star 45 is a wonderful boat in that it performs at a high percentage of efficiency, due to it's relatively small size but is easier to build than planking a round hull. I believe it is an ideal boat for a first build in that you can make a straight hull fairly easy and you can concentrate on adjusting your rigging to tweak your boat to its best speed. IMHO. Bellyflop, your boat looks good. If the weather is descent, I'm sure there would be someone to sail with you with some advanced notice.I usually sail at Confluence lake in Delta but could try Baldridge Park to check it out. Please let us know when your next sailing occurs. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Maybe I'll go with one of those. I found dxf files for the formers and such, so I could cut them out and go that way. Need to see what wood I need. Stevens Aero also has a short kit which is the formers, for like 45 bucks or so.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Neat, Talk with them. They should give you a list of wood and supplies needed to complete the short kit. Otherwise, you can go on the AMYA web and find out what it needs to complete the boat. Good luck. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Why not go the lost foam method with fiberglass for a nice slick hull? If a person has the hull cross sections, ya got it made.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

bellyflop said

Glad to see so many people interested in sailing. Hope that we can find a way to meet on a regular basis. Just purchased an Endeavour at Hobby Hut. It's maiden voyage was a resounding success at Baldridge Park in Montrose. I would like to meet any and all who are interested anywhere there is water. Terry[br][br]
Sounds good.. I should be back later this week, need a few nights to get my boat ready.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

I did the servo mod that Randy mentioned and also changed the rigging to get double movement of the sail. Now have all of the sail movement that the mast rigging will allow. Have not had a chance to get it into the water because of the weather.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

I took my sailboat down to Confluence Lake this morning to try out the mods that I had made. It definitely works better with more sail control. It of course is still not a racer and never will be but still fun.Too cold to stay out very long. The area around the pier that we sail from was clear of ice but other places on the lake had some thin ice.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Do ice breakers come as sailboats? Hmm? What would be a scale thickness of ice for an icebreaker? Í was going to say that James or Cliff'd probably make one, but an icebreaker wouldn't go fast enough.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

No, but their air boats would probably skim right over the ice.
Back to the top

Soling 1 meter sailboat

Tub test confirmed two water leaks around the rudder tube. Still have a port list and some other minor issues, almost ready.[br][br]
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.