Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aero towing

Aero towing

Aero towing

If anyone is interested in aerotowing their 2-3 meter glider, please PM me and we'll set up a time. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Here is a glider tow release from hobby lobby. Hobby Lobby Arts & Crafts Stores

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Here is a photo of a homemade loop and pin release.[br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

That looks good. Is the plane it's in as huge as it looks? What's the other glider in the background? 1-26?
Back to the top

Aero towing

It could be. This is an antique glider by Don Bailey.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

I'm in for some aerotowing. I'm not sure when I will have time but I'll let you know when I can sneak out and do it.
Back to the top

Aero towing

OK, I'm around through this weekend.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Here's a couple of photos of the Aero-Tow hitch set-up. It should do the trick for whatever this Telemaster Electro will pull. If anyone would like a tow, just let me know. You have to install a releasable tow-line mechanism in your glider. They are pretty easy to set up, just PM me and I'll send you the details. Randy[br][br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Here's a nice video showing a really neat towing dolly about a third of the way through the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfCICeGAz84 Boy, I should have watched the video to the end. That glider is a serious lead sled! It looks to have the glide ratio of the space shuttle. A good candidate for the slope perhaps. The tow dolly does a good job even moving quite fast in the tall grass.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

400 ' is high enough to get were you are going
Back to the top

Aero towing

We might have some more business with Bob High plains drifter.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Bob and I are planning to make a day of it on next Tuesday, towing his Salto V-tailed aerobatic sailplane. If anyone is interested.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

HiPlainsdrifter and I towed his HK Salto glider up yesterday and had a couple of good tows. It was his maiden flight with this glider and it went well. The first tow went about 300-400 feet high, after he released and the second one was about 500-600 feet above the field. He even started to catch some thermals on the second flight. Jim F. was there and took a couple of photos. Hopefully he will download them and we can see how they turned out. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Aero towing

Yes, as Randy indicated everything went very well indeed. Hopefully the vids came out ok and Tippdriver can get them posted to the website. The Salto glider towed great behind Randy's telemaster (the smaller one) and behaved itself quite well with no unexpected or nasty characteristics. It glides very flat but very fast and covers alot of ground in a hurry. It is designed as a sloper and not intended as a thermal ship, but once I get it trimmed out, it should thermal fairly well. It is not intended for a novice flyers, but I believe it would be suitable for glider guiders with some aileron slope flying and building experience. The kit is reasonable priced and overall good quality, with the quality and finish of the fiberglass fuselage being exceptional. And, it has very effective flaps for glide path control and cambering for a little more lift at slower speeds for thermal flight if your radio has that capability. The really big minus is that the kit comes with absolutely no, nada, zippo instructions or indications of balance point or recommendations for control throws. But, I've pretty much got those worked out and would be glad to share what I've found out if someone purchases it. So, here's the addr to take a look at the thing and read the comments. Other than the lack of instructions and a very, very thin airfoil through which to thread the wing servos leads, it's a pretty straight forward build. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=14420 If you purchase it, be sure to order it from the USA warehouse. Bob
Back to the top

Aero towing

Forgot to mention..Big thanks to Cliff for the launch dolly. It worked flawlessly yesterday!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.