Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope Soaring Alert

All you slope dogs check your batteries. The spring winds are coming. High speed foam airplanes are going to rule for a few months. [br][br]

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Yep, waxin' up me Bluto and finishing up my EPP version of a late 40's DeHavillan experimental jet called the Swallow. Early flight film here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=emzr-sPaTtQ How about trying to get a 'sport' slope racing group going this spring?
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I don't remember the swallow. Interesting. Hmm. Dunno if I have anything that would be a good candidate for racing. Except for a crunchy that I may reserve for Gunnison. Still, it'd be nice to give it a shot. I'll do the combat thing, but just ain't wired right for bashing airplanes into each other. Y'know?

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

It's fun if you try and not hit someone, then it happens all the time. Murphy's law.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Ok, where would some good sites for racin' be? Smith Mountain for a W to WSW wind would seem to work with fairly ez access to setting up a couse. Where else?
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

it was pretty awesome up on smith mountain today.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Wish I could have gotten away. Big mesa on the west side would work for a more WNW direction and fairly ez to get up and down the slope to set up a course, I believe. Any other spring wind directions that should be considered?
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Nice smooth, but light winds on Smith Mountain yesterday. Had a good time with an ultra light Bee.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Looks like surfs up this weekend from the SW. I will give Smith Mountain a shot on Saturday. Sunday looks really crazy with snow predicted.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I've some maintenance to do (replacement of batteries) on my heavier planes. I do hope to make it on Saturday though (Smith Mtn.).

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Dang good at Smith Mountain early today. The air really smoothed out if you could blast you way into the valley. Flew from 11AM to around 12AM. Flying time got unexpectedly cut short. It was looking like it could get blown out later in the day though. Met Tippo on the way up as I was coming down. Hopefully it stayed good for him. If the snow and cold stays away, I'll try there tomorrow as well.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

How do you get to the flying site at Smith Mountain? I'm going to try some soaring this year.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Depending on the wind direction, Spinal Tap ridge might be an alternative. PM me for directions. Do you have a slope soarer? Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Smith mountain was a blow out for me yesterday. Just a bit too much. My Lumberjack was the only plane I had with me that I thought might handle it, but it got blown back on launch. I went to spinal tap and met Randy and (Oh know, brain freeze I can't think of his name. He lives in Fruita). Wind was more manageable there, and did fly the DVS for a while. Wind velocity varied a lot, and it was just a little turbulent. At least I didn't break anything besides the Lumberjack.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Yes, Jim and I and Buck showed up. Buck had a Bee but didn't fly because of the gusty winds. We need about 15-20 mph of steady wind and then it'll be perfect and it's just down the road a piece from me!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.