Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope Soaring Alert

Tried Big Mesa after the indoor fun fly on Saturday. Breeze from the WNW just strong enough to tempt a launch, make a couple of passes, and then a hike! Flattop around 2PM Sunday was flyable with the wind and the always present turbulance reasonable.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Smith Mtn. was very good from 11-1PM today. Then, the wind velocity picked up about 10mph and it got turbulent. The wind direction was right up the slope at a steady 20mph but the lift zone was not as far out as I was expecting. Had the place to meself.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I tried Flat Top at about 2 pm. Had extra ballast on the lumberjack, but couldn't hold on to the Lumberjack to launch it, so that was that. In the valley, the dust was chasing my Explorer at 25 mph. Based on the way things were on Flat Top, the wind had to be exceeding that. I did not have the anemometer with me.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Is there going to be another Western Slope Soaring Challenge?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

For me it is always a challenge........

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

For me, this would be the ultimate slope soarer if I was a bit youger and not so nicked up. How about Flattop Mtn. with this, but watch out for that 2nd step!… Awesome foot launched glider. [VIDEO] | Dump.com
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I've done hang gliding with Rogollo Wing type gliders, and always wanted to try a rigid hang glider like this. It would be so much more efficient. I don't think I'd do Flat Top with one of those. Bob, if you haven't tried hang gliding you should, if you can find someone good at training. I took lessons at Point of the Mountain near SLC. I don't think your being nicked up would be a problem. When you start running, you are off the ground before you know it. It is a rush.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

O' Flat Top was really good yesterday evening. Cold was an understatement, and was the only reason I stopped flying before sundown. I did not anticipate that kind of wind chill.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Had an opportunity to take lessons for free from a rc soaring buddy who was also hang glider instructor certified. Just not keen on trying to control flight by shifting my body weight around. The glider in the video had all three axis controls and flaps..very cool!
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

That was a neat video, Bob. Can you land that thing on it's wheels or do you have to land on your legs?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Check out the other videos and the price tag! Ouch! AKTUELL

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

What a cool airplane! Now, just a small lottery win and……. Bob, maybe you just more weight to shift around. Funny but that method of control did not bother me at all. Once I got the hang of it, my landings were at zero airspeed most of the time. Yes, that was a good thing cause I didn't have to run. Now, running down the side of the big gravel hill at Point of the Mountain for take offs, that was another story altogether. Always expected to do a major league face plant. I was always airborne before I realized it and I'd be 10 feet in the air and my legs would still be running. My ex thought that was hilarious.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Randy, it looks like, from the vids, that there can be a wheel attached just at the cg for bungee launch and aerotow. It appears to be a well thought out design, but how rugged it may be would be another question. I'm going to try to get more info. Maybe there is a USA distributor. It sounds like Jim might have been the original 'skywalker'
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Skywalker! I love it. Yeah, go to the US distributor and ask for a test flight.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

The boy and I went out to the hills by the drag strip here this afternoon and had a blast with some amature slope soaring. We kept it in the air so long on one flight we had to land for fear of the battery going dead. This will be even more fun when we learn how to do it right. Dose anybody use spoilers on their slope planes?
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.