Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope Soaring Alert

Well spoilers would spoil everything! I couldn't help it. Sorry. Most of us fly EPP stuff because of its durability, and generally don't use spoilers. Some of the high end molded planes are set up with flaps and ailerons and use crow. Not saying that no one uses spoilers on their slope planes, but by and large we don't bother locally.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Gary, you must have been doing something right to get such a long flight! What model were you flying? If you have a wide enough top on the hill you can head briefly down wind, make a turn back into the wind, and let the sink caused by the wind spilling over the top of the hill cause the plane to sink quite quickly to a landing. Easier said then done. But as they say, it just takes practice.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

The down rotor is just behind the where the apex of the hill is , dependent on wind velocity and angle. It's self explanatory when you see it done once![br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Gary, you've gotten a taste of slope flight if you're not careful, you'll get hooked. I think the local slope dogs would love to have you join one or more of them for a little adrenalin time on a hill somewhere.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Thats a great illustration Randy, it makes it look pretty basic. Jim, its easy to see how you could get hooked. It was pretty cool to find a sweet spot and almost hover like a kite. We have been flying the old House of Balsa 2x4 I've had hanging on the cieling for 12 years. Another glider is on the bench however.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Ooh, sounds like fun!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I believe rich and rene and everyone plans on combat on april 21&22nd up at the delta site. wcsc of sorts.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

O' good. Will put it on my calendar.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Had good flights at Smith Mountain Saturday between 1PM and 2PM. Wind was right up the slope probably averaging around 15MPH. (Got ta get me a wind meter). Nothing to write home about, but my heavyly ballasted Bluto hung in there and it was very comfortable flying while seated in Pete's Lounge at the #1 stool.
Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

I flew Flat Top Saturday. I got time in with the Bee, the 1-26, and the old crunchy Talon. Things were a little rough at times, but the lift was good, and I could range well out in front of the hill. I can't believe that the Talon didn't find a rock when landing; it survived for another day. I really enjoy flying that old design. My wind meter went south, so I can't be sure what I was dealing with. I got a wind speed app for my android phone, but I'm not impressed. About the time I decided to leave, I think I could have thrown the Lumberjack out, but I was out of my time allocation for the day.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

According to the aviation weather forecast this should be a good day on the slope.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Slope season is back with a vengeance. I do not know how I missed it but the annual slope combat gathering east of Delta was this weekend. Apparently they had a moderate turnout. John and I were out on that site today, and the wind this afternoon was great. My ME-109 did a good job of penetrating the high winds, but getting it slowed down to plant it, with some semblance of grace, on the ground was a bit tough. I ended up doing the walk of shame because I let it get back too far and into the rotor. John's Weasel was a bit challenged by the wind velocity this afternoon. Charge the batteries folks, get out the goggles and lawn chair, time for some high speed slope aerobatics.

Back to the top

Slope Soaring Alert

Nice wind this afternoon. A bit variable, but good for a fast foamy.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.