Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History, Technology, and Trivia

Cool beans! Will you make it R/C?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Yes, Why do a 2m free flight?! I would like aerotow instructions.
Back to the top

Well, congratulations. I think the Sterling Diamant was designed as a static display model , you'll have to reinforce some of the structures. Can your Dad help you with some of those carbon fiber strips for the wing spars and tail surfaces? This might be necessary for safe aero-towing to make it strong enough. Ask him and see what he thinks. I would love to tow you up, Sabin. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

It was actualy designed as a Free Flight, but I have a little bit of carbon from my little Extra 300 3D, That thing was so flimsy I flew it a few times and it broke so much I juts kept the carbon and elevtronics for a free flight R/C conversion... But thats another story.
Back to the top

This isn't a question, just some trivial information: Did you know that the big ol' Stinson Reliant was rated at 6.8 positive G's? By today's standards that'd be aerobatic I think. Guess I can fly the wings off my RC Stinson and actually be scale. Even more amazing is that the Fairchild 24 was rated for 11.4 G's. Try to find your Cessna with that kind of rating. I'm not sure but would bet that the current crop of Cessna aircraft are probably rated at about 5 G's to failure. Pretty amazing that those frail old machines were overbuilt to that degree.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I think their engineering method on the Fairchild was to keep the airframe so light that you could really whip it around without over stressing anything (besides the pilot) with its own weight. When we design equipment for our planes today everything has to be rated to 11 G's which is mainly so things don't go flying around the cabin in the event of a crash. I wonder what the old 727's are rated to? They're built like tanks.
Back to the top

I doubt that you could consider the Stinson a light airframe. The wings aren't rated to 6.8 or 11 G's on a light utility category airplane. FAR Part 23 states that utility category aircraft minimum positive G rating is required to be 3.8. For aerobatic aircraft the minimum positive G rating is 6.0. Of course some will exceed those requirements. Over the years the mandated positive G ratings have been lowered for light aircraft.

Back to the top

Well, we used to do things to our poor little Super Cubs we shouldn't have and they seemed to hold up quite well. Our head mechanic took one up one time and did some rolls and loops and came back and after an inspection found the aft spar on the wing broken. Go figure!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Just some glue and nails maybe some duct tape for good measure and the cub should be good for a few more hours. At least until the next 100 hour.
Back to the top

He did that and said everything was just fine! Tough birds!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

How many G's (posotive and negative) is the Matt Chapman Eagle 580 rated for?
Back to the top

MMAA President
Back to the top

You're really close!
Back to the top

Is he too low or too high?

Back to the top

To high.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.