Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Aviation History, Technology, and Trivia

Add the plus and minus together and you get Carl's number. 10 Gs positive and 10 negative.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Yes, but I didn't mean added together.
Back to the top

Just trying to make Carl feel better.

Back to the top

Ok, Beechcraft made a bunch of different twin engine airplanes, but only one has the honor of being known as the twin Beech. Which one is it?

Back to the top

Let's see, it had twin rudders and two engines……

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Was it the model 18?
Back to the top

Yes indeed it was the 18. And oddly, Randy, as a twin it had 2 engines. "If Marilyn Monroe had been an airplane, she would have been a Beechcraft Model 18." It was in continuous production from 1937 to 1970. That is longer than any other piston powered aircraft manufactured in the US.(Smithsonian Air and Space, Dec. 2012) There were 32 variants, military and civilian. Another subject, did you know that the Mesa County Sheriff's Department is one of the few law enforcement outfits in the US authorized to use drones. They have 2, a Dragon Flyer X6 and a Falcon fixed wing drone.

Back to the top

Oh. Monsieur, I beg to differ, the Beechcraft Baron has been in service since 29th February, 1960, So, it is older than I. I'm 51 so go figure, eh…………. It is so much more sexy than the eloquent Beech 18.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Well, it looks like Air and Space may have gotten it wrong as far as years in production. However, the Baron has a few years to go to catch up on a years in service record. Now sexy....I kinda like the art deco period myself. Big round engines and all.

Back to the top

The Confederate Air Force has one here at the Boulder airport waiting to give rides.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

It's not "Confederate Air Force" any more. I guess someone decided that term was raciest, derogatory or something.
Back to the top

Commemorative Air Force

MMAA President
Back to the top

Sad note that the CONFEDERATE air force has to be politically correct too!
Back to the top

"Commemorative" is probably more respectful to those who gave their lives in many of those same aircraft during the second world war. The word confederate carries with it a great deal of baggage from a much less than enlightened time in our own history.

Back to the top

The guys that run that outfit will always be known as "Rebels". So, the Confederate Spirit still runs strong even though their name has been changed. "A Rose is just as sweet by any other name".

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.