Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

1/4 scale Slingsby Gull Type 1 build

No problem. You aren't trying to upload a photo type that isn't on the list of compatible file formats are you?

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Ok, at least a msg after upload. Msg says that the upload needs to be reviewed and approved before it will be posted. Jim, you probably have that authority. Pls give it your blessing and let's see what it looks like.
Back to the top

Make sure that the file type is one of those listed as being allowed for upload. Such as: .jpg, .gif, .exe, etc. If you just change the file extension to get it to upload, that won't work. What is the extension on the file you are trying to upload? The most common is .jpg, but that should upload easily. Also, check to make sure that your file size is not too large. I've never had a problem with either thing, but they will both prevent an upload. If you'd like, you can email the file to me, and I'll see what I can do with it.

Back to the top

Pics emailed to you. Thanx, Jim
Back to the top

Here are the photos of Bob's Slingsby [br][br][br][br][br][br]

Back to the top

A couple more. [br][br][br][br]

Back to the top

Thanx very much, Jim. If I could get upload authority, you wouldn't have to be bothered. I'll enter descriptions for each pic as I get time today and tomorrow and I'll try to answer any questions in a timely manner. Pic#1 shows the thing pretty much rough framed with the detachable motor pylon in place for when tow dog is not available and I want to fly. No, that's not tow dog in pic#2, but he has volunteered! So watch out Randy, you have a replacement ready and waiting… First flights will be made using power assist. The motor is .60 size running on 2 3s 5000MA lipos which fit nicely in the fuse nose. And with a 14/7 prop. it puts out around 1100 watts. That will be a little more power than it will need, but as they say, you can always throttle back. Take-offs and landings will be on a pair of wheels attached to a removable axle mounted thru the keel at the fuse bottom. Balance with this setup looks like it will be about spot-on with hopefully very little lead necessary to get the cg right in the finished config. The motor is supported by two 3/8" solid carbon fiber rods that slide into vertical brass tubes epoxied to a reinforced fuse former. They will trimmed off of course and the pylon prettied up a bit. I was shooting for a ez on ez off motor pylon design. Power and esc connectors will plug in when the pylon slides on. Total weight in this config should be around 9 lbs which will give a wing loading of around 16oz. per sq./ft..
Back to the top

Pic#3 with the pylon removed. There will be a thin removable fiberglass plate molded to the fuse shape that will be on the fuse top that will cover the pylon attachment brass tube ends and the power and esc plugs. The fuse is constructed around formers of 1/8" balsa and 1/8" lite plywood glued together. The formers are split horizontally and top and bottom halves are glued to a 1/4" sq. spruce frame. The spruce frame runs down the center-line. Basic form construction is just like the old Jatco thermic glider series. I have seen some builders split the formers vertically around a vertical frame, but I just felt more comfortable doing it the Jatco way. The bottom keel is 3 1/8" spruce hardwood laminated together from the nose block to about even with the wing TE and 1/8" spruce hardwood from there to the last former. The sheeting is 1/8" balsa butt glued between the formers and the 1/4" spruce stringers from the nose to the 1st former beyond the TE and 3/32" balsa from there to the tail. Sheeting the fuse this way really adds torsional rigidity to the fuse. The top keel is a laminate of 2 1/8" hardwood. The nose block is a stack of 1/8" hard balsa cut to the rough profile shape and laminated with the grain running horizontal. This technique makes it really ez to provide for a hollow area in the nose for any ballast lead. 1st time I did it this way and found it much more to my liking than the balsa block and tedious carving out of a ballast compartment. The lighting in this pic pretty easily shows all of what I have just described.
Back to the top

So as soon as you slide the motor in it will be hot?

Back to the top

For my esc which is a Castle 10s 80amp, if the batteries are plugged in, the voltage regulator switch is on, the transmitter is on, and the throttle is in the low throttle position, yes. Conditions I am not planning on being in place when I slide the pylon in.
Back to the top

Wow, looks like it should be ready soon.I'll have to see about putting the cub together. It looks good, Bob.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Thanx, Randy. Yep, it will need a nice 1/4 scale cub to put it in the air proper! I'm hoping to be ready to go by the end of April if me enthusiasm and stamina hold out…
Back to the top

Pics#2,3 show the wing structure. The wing halves have 2 3/8" solid carbon rods running thru the fuse and into each wing for about 6 1/2 inches. The root wing profile is a 13% thick E214 which then tapers after 7 inches to a E214 11% for the rest of the wing. I needed the extra thickness in the root to allow enough height for straight wing rods to fit into the 13 degree dihedral for the gull wing. The ribs at the root are all 1/8" plywood. All of the rest of the wing ribs are 1/8" balsa. I used the stacking method to cut them and capped them with 1/16" balsa. The top and bottom wing spars are 1/4" sq. spruce except the bottom spar which is 1/4" carbon fiber running to about 6 in. past the gull wing break. Prolly should've used carbon on the top also. Maybe next time..The leading edge is 1/4" balsa laminated together to give a total 1/2" thickness. Standard 1/8" ply reinforcements at the spar and LE at the gull break. Aluminum wing strut anchors secured to the spar. To help with transportation, the wing halves are split into two appox. 36" pieces held together with 1/4" solid carbon wing rods. Makes for lot of wiring connectors!
Back to the top

She's a beauty.
Back to the top

Thanx, Gary.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.