Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

1/4 scale Slingsby Gull Type 1 build

Ok, last pic. As I was designing and building the stab, I wondered why on earth Slingsby would put this square, straight shaped tail on such a beautiful, flowing wing, rudder, and fuse. Looks really out of place. And, he just sorta stuck it on top of the fuse with not an ounce of any blending. Looking at some of his earlier designs, it looks to me like he just did a cut and paste of a stab from one of them. Nothing of note, I don't believe, on the construction. It was kinda fun to use the old 'laminate and glue wet strips of 1/16" balsa around a hardwood form' technique to get the curved trailing edge of the rudder just like an early Wakefield model. I still need to add a leading edge fairing on the fin.
Back to the top

It still looks marvelous, Bob. I hope everyone has a happy Easter![br][br]

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

That's some fancy needlework, Randy. Thanks for sharing.
Back to the top

You're most welcome. I plucked it off of the R/C Aerotowing website. I thought it was cute.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Bob, laminating those outlines is satisfying work and makes for a strong structure.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Really cute, Tow Dog. I didn't see it until just now, thanx. Yes, it is quite strong, Tippo and much quicker to do with CA as opposed to back in the day using Ambroid glue! Although, as I recall, the odor from Ambroid had a much more soothing affect on me …
Back to the top

You know, there's nothing like a good sniff of ambroid and butyrate dope! Mom, made me go into the basement to build, though. Although, I can't really remember!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here it is completed. It ended up weighing 9lbs which is a bit heavier that I expected. I needed the weight of the 2 3s5000ma LiPo packs that will power the motor assist pylon plus another 12oz of lead in the nose to get in to balance. But, it's a common story I have found for large vintage gliders to need lots of nose weight. At least most of the weight for this thing can be utilized. [br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

If anyone is interested, I can include a list of balsa, plywood, and covering used.
Back to the top

Let's see how it flies first! Just kidding, Bob. I'm sure it will soar with the Eagles or Turkey vultures, whichever shows up first. It looks mighty sharp. I can't wait to yank it with the Supper Club!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Wow Bob, beautiful job! Hey that rhymes.
Back to the top

Thanx, Randy and...thanx very, Gary.
Back to the top

Super Cub, here we go!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Is it done yet, Randy? Lol.
Back to the top

I know, it's sitting in the box, looking up at me asking, are we there yet? Soon, very soon.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.