Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

1/4 scale Slingsby Gull Type 1 build

At the field this morning with power assist pylon in place. Motor and range testing look good. Gonna have to move the wheels about 1.5 in. forward. Nose wants to take a bow with full power.[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Geez, what a beautiful plane and craftsmanship. I will be following your progress as far as getting it in the air. Good build.
Back to the top

Good stuff, keep it coming.
Back to the top

Thanx, fellers.
Back to the top

Bob, Do you have enough up thrust on the motor? The pylon mounted power plants I've had all required some, and with some of them it looked pretty extreme. Perhaps that would help get rid of the tendency to push the nose down and keep you from having to hack into your airframe to move the wheels.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

That looks Grand, Bob! I wish you the very best on her maiden! Perhaps, someone could hand launch it for you on the very first flight, to make things easier?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Jim, from what I have found looking at discussions on large scale power assist glider forums, it's a common situation that is more pronounced on the take-off roll until the aerodynamics begin to equalize themselves as airspeed increases. It was much easier to move the axle forward than you'd might think. Just drilling new set of holes for the axle and brackets in the bottom keel and plugging the old ones. Thanx for the suggestion, Randy but doing a nice smoothly acceleration take-off roll into the air appeals more to me than having an inexperienced helper run a bulky 10 lb. model up to flying speed and then expect him to do a nice wings level, nose slightly down launch all the while having his face just a few inches from a 13x8 prop spinning at 9K rpm. But, as someone much wiser than me said,"Yous never knows until yous knows". A couple of successful simulated take-off runs and then I'll let the dust settle for a bit before a maiden attempt.
Back to the top

Sorry, Bob. I was talking about me launching your glider. Good luck with your maiden flight.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.