Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Flying Field Conditions

Flying Field Conditions

Flying Field Conditions

it needs rolled for sure. I'd wait another week or so for it to solidify a bit.
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

The biggest problem on the access road is the deep ruts left by someone driving out there when the road was really wet. It is dry now, and the surface soil is very soft. The runway was in very flyable condition, but a little soft. After looking things over, including the forecast moisture this week, I decided to roll the runways. Things are still a bit soft. My tires were compacting more than the roller, but the surface was in better shape after rolling. To my surprise, the turn around areas at each end are powder dry, and if we get a little moisture this week, it will improve the surface for another rolling job. I'd say that from this point on, rolling it any time we get a chance will be a good idea. There is some surface damage to both the main and cross runways from erosion that we'll have to address in some way this spring.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Flying from 2/16/13. hyperlink url hyperlink url
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Sabin, I dunno if it is just me or what, but I couldn't get these links to work.

Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Me either.
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

I'll take a turn rolling next time we go down, if the conditions are right.
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Sounds like good warm weather this weekend. When will you be coming down Gary?

Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Access to the field right now is excellent. Two wheel drive. Flying field in super condition.conditional g

Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Even after this latest batch of rain and snow the access road and field are essentially dry. If anyone is coming out please bring a trailer hitch, conditions are perrfect to roll the runway.

Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

I went out to the field today and the runway is in very good shape. The road out there is in pretty good shape also. Looks to be a good weekend for flying unfortunately I won't be in town.
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Out earlier today. Roads are passable with just one puddle to avoid, at least for my front wheel drive compact car just north on the turnoff road leading to the gate. A pretty big gully on the North-South runway north of the intersection. Runway surface is pretty loose. Thermals were lifting my feet off the ground!
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

kool thanks I will go out in the am to cut weeds

400 ' is high enough to get were you are going
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Thanks much, Cliff. It is greatly appreciated. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

I was there late this afternoon and the gate was open. We have to remember to lock that bugger. The runoff from up slope where we had not fixed the drainage issues magnified the damage. There are now 3 gullies cutting across the cross runway on the east side, which makes it essentially unusable. In addition most of the fines are gone from the runway surface are gone leaving a surface of fine sharp stones. Kinda like 5 grit sandpaper if there is such a thing. There is the one significant gully Bob mentioned on the north end of the main runway, and there are quite a few smaller ones. It will take a bunch of dragging to fix, and some of it may not lend itself to repair with a drag. O' how nice it would be to have access to a grader. Bob, is there any chance you could check with the flying site assistance guy to see if it is possible to get any financial help at all?

Back to the top

Flying Field Conditions

Here's a photo of the main runway showing the gullying. Note the texture of the runway surface in the foreground. Nice place to grind your plane a bit thinner. [br]

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.