Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Bernie Mendenhall memorial 1/3 scale spacewalker

As we all know by now, Bernie passed away recently. Some of the members thought we should remember Bernie with a Funfly/ BB-Q. Bernie's favorite plane was the Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker of which he built two. One was lost to a elevator pushrod failure and the fate of the second is unknown. It was suggested we should build one and fly it at the get together to remember Bernie. I have procured a kit and engine and am volunteering to build it. It will be powered by a Zenoah G38, covered in Solartex and painted to match Bernie's. I'll post pictures as we progress. These are the beginnings of the left wing.[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Thanks for taking this on Gary. Looks like the kit is laser cut now. Should speed things along a little bit.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I'm happy to do it. The rib's are laser cut but the rest is die-crushed and printed wood. Sig's quality has sure suffered in the past couple of years but they have to do what they can to keep cost's reasonable I suppose. One wing down, one to go.This is a builders kit to be sure.
Back to the top

Gary if you soak the smashed edges in distilled water a few days before you need the parts they will perfect if you need them in a hurry just use your monokote iron on the wet parts it will steam them back

MMAA President
Back to the top

Thanks Carl, I'll give it a try.
Back to the top

Great piece of information Carl, thnx.

Back to the top

I have a 1/4 scale Spacewalker kit that I will try to get built for the memorial fly. Anyone want to build a part of it?
Back to the top

That would be cool. Maybe Ed McBurney is still building for other folks? Carl & Jim are also two other talented builders and I'm sure there are some others I don't know of.
Back to the top

Ed has undergone some surgery and is having some difficulty with recovery. I will give him a ring to see if he feels up to it. It is a cool idea to try for 2 Spacewalkers for the May event, but is that being a bit too optimistic? I don't know if I can promise to have something completed, and I'd rather say no than fail to deliver.

Back to the top

I spent some time on the mill and drilled up tapped the wing joiner assembly's and now we're rolling on the other wing[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

That is a good looking build, Gary.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Thanks Randy, it's starting to come together.
Back to the top

I've been offline for a few days. What did you need to mill Gary?

Back to the top

The wings are built and will be joined together in the next couple of days, now fuse. construction can begin.. Jim, I just used the mill to drill and tap the wing joiners. You can set it up and get all your parts exact, straight and all identical. There wasn't a lot of extra material to work with.
Back to the top

Exact, Straight, Identical? Oh, is that a good idea? Maybe my hand operated human mill has limited repeatability in its adjustment mechanism. I guess that is why everything I have is in a constant side slip.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.