Skip navigation

At the field

Flying at the field

We also had a bald eagle fly over the parking lot and he was lower than the hill behind the parking lot. He flew SE climbed up to the top of the hill and immediately found a thermal. There were more raptors around there yesterday than I've ever seen in 15 years. Seriously cool day.

The field was damp enough to roll, so I did. Rolled the main runway 3 times, and the cross strip twice. Both could have easily taken another round but it was getting dark. If anyone else rolls it, remember that if you go much over 5 mph the roller wants to start bouncing and will begin to create a washboard effect. I rolled the field once in a diagonal pattern hoping to reduce the washboards primarily on the south end. The runways should be pretty hard now. If we get more moisture and roll it more it should get really solid.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I know we got some rain last night, not sure how much we got at the field. Looks like I am going to be tied up this morning so I won't be able to be able to head out until this afternoon, if at all.
Back to the top

Andrew, the RAV4 will struggle a bit with the roller. Anyone know if that bugger is filled completely?

Back to the top

Went out early afternoon. Kinda clouded up and the wind came up. Probably only got about 15 minutes of flying in.
Back to the top

Anyone flying tomorrow?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I have way too much stuff to get done, but if I can get away for an hour I will head out there. 
Back to the top

I will be out there sometime in the late morning.
Back to the top

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll be out at 10:00 with the old Jester. ;)

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Well, with all this wind, it looks like it's time to hit the slopes! :lol:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Was up on flat top saturday.  Got a new PB with my dynamic 80 up there, 208 mph.  
Back to the top

Outstanding!  In case anyone who hasn't seen a model glider fly at 208 mph, it is quite invigorating! I suggest you check it out.
Congratulations, Paul! :thumbs:

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here's a report from John C. about field conditions on Friday.  I've been told that the porta-johns had been cleaned not long ago. Bummer ;)

"FYI I was out at the field flying yesterday (Friday).  The runways are in great shape.  The pit is carpeted in green from all the weeds.  More importantly, one of the two porto potties was blown over.  It is quite heavy so will need several people to pull back up.  I did not open the door, but it will probably have to be cleaned.

As long as the sun was out and the wind calm, it was quite nice. But became quite cold without the sun and with the wind.  The wind sock was straight out.  I did leave a Turnigy 3S 2200 mah battery there on one of the stands.  If anyone sees it, I would appreciate it if you would put it on one of the picnic tables."

Back to the top

Oh, for those that did not know, this weekend, 5, 6, 7… will be the 'slope event' up at the normal spot past delta and austin.

Some folks will be up at garvin earlier in the week too.
Back to the top

Cool, thanks. Hope to see you up there. ;)

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Regarding John's comment about the weeds in the pit area: there is a one or two gallon hand sprayer in the big cabinet, along with the herbicide, directions to mix it, and a measuring cup.  The directions are taped up to the back of the cabinet. We have found out over the last several years that the roundup equivalent (glyphosate) in the cabinet works best on our weeds when mixed stronger than directed. Perhaps bumping up the glyphosate by about 25% at this point should be sufficient. Since the weeds right now are likely a mix of grasses and forbs, 24d won't do the job.

A bit later, when the halogeton becomes a problem, we usually mix some 24d in with the glyphosate in order to have the herbicide work better on that plant.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.