Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Weekend flying

Weekend flying

Weekend flying

Wiring in an additional solenoid will be no problem but I won't be able to do it for about 3 weeks. Going to a rendezvous in Wyoming next Thursday. If it isn't done by the time I get back then I will be glad to do it!
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Tell me about solenoid sticking, Jim! (that's number 1 of 11) That's when the releasable tow hook really paid for itself! ****DISCLAIMER**** My even responding to a winch launching discussion does not in anyway suggest, imply, or commit a willingness to launch the Slingsby with it.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

So was the thermal activity on Sat. as good there as it was here in the West End? High start launch here on Sat. It sure would be nice to have a winch. You guys are lucky.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

When the thermals are popping, who needs a stinkin', heavy, takes forever to layout properly, hard to move for wind shifts, high maintenance, wing folding winch and battery. A hi-start will work just fine most of the times. So, where do you fly on the 'West End'?
Back to the top

Weekend flying

No need to sugar coat things here, how do you really feel about the winch? Lol...
Back to the top

Weekend flying

I guess those of us who have used the Association winch have not had the pleasure of drastic experiences. We had one person fold wings on a sailplane, but it was actually on purpose. Strange but true.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Aero-towing is much easier on sailplanes but requires more positioning skill. Ailerons are required. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

O' but it was a beautiful day of flying today. Got in some powered flying and sailplanes too. Gary, Sabin, Mike, John and I along with one guest had a good time. Nothing broken except the winch line, which it looks like we'll need to replace.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Weekend flying

We had a good time, hopefully we can start making it on Saturday's.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Has anyone been out to the field this morning? Is the road passable? There was a lot of thunder and some rain here last evening, so just wondering how it is down there.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Just got back, We had a good turnout today. The road was dry. No sign of rain at least in the last 24 hrs.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

It's hard to tell what the weather will be around here. A thunderstorm here in Crawford has little bearing on Olatha.
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Same here. Two weeks ago they got quite a bit of rain by highway 50 at carnation rd. but at the field it was totally dry. go figure!
Back to the top

Weekend flying

Very enjoyable having a good member turn out Sat. 24th. I think all aspects of flying was pretty well present,except Helicopter. We had the gas-azzes(with respect), Jim Z flew his electric,the glider nuts did some High-starts and Tippo hands-down won the duration-flight with at least a 25 min flight. Pretty good off a rubber band. We also were treated with control line flight by Carl and Cliff. Carl did hands-on instruction with Pilatus(Randy) and of course he did well. I think he only fell down a time or two due to disiness. Next on the control-line was me. I loved it,brought back the memories of entering the hobby as a young man. Carl was very patient with me,and I think I flew about 10 circles before I became too dizzy to fuction. Any way it was a very good time. I hope ,with the help, of Carls championship flying expierince,more club members will give it a try. Carl did say turning circles with-out getting dizzy can be overcome with some simple practice. As for me Im practicing. r
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.