Skip navigation

Sailplane Talk; All things thermal and slope

Mike, I do have it here. It is fully operational, just needs the second solenoid to make it a little safer. I will need to remove it from the red wagon or modify the wagon so it will fit in the cabinet at the field. Although the way things have gone out there, maybe it isn't a good idea to store something worth that much in the cabinets.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

Regarding the sailplane fun fly on the 27th. Cliff has dragged the heck out of the runway, so it is more like polishing compound now instead of super coarse sandpaper. However, my kids and grandkids are coming in from out of town for the first time in probably a year. Of course that is on the top of my to do list for Saturday. Although I hate to miss the sailplane flying with you guys, I will this time.

Back to the top

Well, don't feel bad also. I have to work Saturday, as well. See you, next week.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

well, looking like a weekend to miss also. Wedding to attend. Maybe after all the civil duties, we can return to our heathen ways and FLY.
Back to the top

Ain't it interesting how the people who seem most skeptical of the winch's abilities, don't have anything they can or would winch launch. After all an Aspire was never much of a challenge. The Ford starter motor would hardly grunt even with an open class sailplane. How about someone helping to mount the winch on a stand rather than the red wagon. As currently set up, it cannot be stored in the cabinet at the field and not readily hauled by those of us without a truck. I'd love to get it out of my garage. (along with assorted Association radios, airplanes, files, engines, etc)

Back to the top

Jim, Don't know how soon I can get to it and I don't fly sailplanes but I will help you get it on a rack to put in the cabinates and I still need to get the second solenoid on it. Right now I am busy putting new brakes on the jeep. These old jeeps take a bit more work than the new ones so it is taking a while. Will get with you asap.
Back to the top

Jim, be more than happy to help get the winch off the wagon,will get with you and kick around some ideas. Hopefully we can have a few of us at the field Sat. Be a good time to fly and discuss what we may want as winch platform, that will fit in cabinet.
Back to the top

Just curious,... anybody in particular you are speaking about in the first sentence of your 7/29 post, Jim?
Back to the top

jim, until we can decide a reasonable winch platform, I would be happy to store for the club. something to discuss.
Back to the top

Hmm Bob, let me think about that…..might a been Randy.. yeah, of course, it was Randy, and maybe that RRMerlin guy. :-) You do have to keep in mind that there were just a couple of us flying sailplanes at the time, so the winch was locally built, but the guys involved had experience with doing it before. Couldn't afford a store bought one. Since I have not used it to launch my plane for a couple of years, I guess I'll have to take it out and get used to it again. The shrubs at our flying field are what prompted us to think about getting a retriever. What is nice about our flying field is that we can stretch the winch line out for the entire 900' of the main runway (if the wind is cooperating). The last time we did that we had a breeze from the south. Unusual, but a killer day. Have you moved the wheels on the big bird so that it does not want to nose over when you give it some juice? You must be close to holding your breath and going for it. I would be shaking so bad I'd probably need some xanax to calm my nerves beforehand. I can't blame you for not wanting to use the winch right off. That'd be particularly terrifying. The largest plane we've launched was a 120 inch span, and I am embarrassed that I can't think of the name of it. I can't remember at the moment how many pounds of pull the line will take. Guess it'd be good to find that out.

Back to the top

Randy,looking forward to you getting back to the field and doing some towing. I understand the work schedule gig. Just be nice when you are able to join us. Stay safe.
Back to the top

John is willing to loan us a JobBox to store the winch at the field. We've worked out a way to mount it to the big cabinet so the bolts are not accessible. The JobBox lock is completely protected from bolt cutters. We'll be able to store the winch complete as it is now including the wagon to make it easy to transport when we get to the location where we intend to use it. Good deal, I can get it out of my garage.

Back to the top

Jim, Are you going to bring the winch on Saturday? I need to look at it to see what I will need to put a second solenoid on it. If you don't bring it I will try to remember to stop by your house when I leave the flying sight.
Back to the top

This will be one of those rare times when I'll miss a meeting. I will be at an annual crawfish gathering with friends at Miramonte. Unless the weather really goes to pot over that way.

Back to the top

Hmmm, ditching the club for a bunch of crawfish................ We understand.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.