Skip navigation

Sailplane Talk; All things thermal and slope

I won't make it this time. I will be out of town.
Back to the top

Good day at the field today. NW breeze so I set the Highstart up across parking and into SE corner of control line field. This kept line pretty much out of the weeds. I was flying my spriser sailplane. This is a poorboy combo of a spiritglider wing,( thanks Jim)and a Sig Riser fuse. actually flys well. M ade 6 launches,couldnt find any thermal activity at the altitude obtained by the highstart. Was still ok, as I got some much needed stick time and launch practice. Everything come home in one piece,so that always makes for a good day.
Back to the top

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. We might have to partake in the sport.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Which sport, taking things home in once piece?
Back to the top

Randy, best I could do without an airtow. Yep not the greatest flights,but best I could do with what I had. Maybe next weekend. Magical Merlin, you a glider guy?
Back to the top

Yes, I'm a glider guy, but dabble in prop driven stuff. I live in the Paradox Valley area, most of the year. Baby sit a uranium mining complex that is not active. Don't get into town much to look into your site. I fly both slope and TD. Paradox Valley is an awsome location for both. Use just a high start for TD because I fly alone. I almost never get to Montrose, tend to go to Moab on days I can leave this country that glows. I'm going to be off line for a few days now. Have fun
Back to the top

RRMerlin,nice to hear you fly gliders. Im familiar with paradox valley. I bet it is a good glider area. Understand you are off-line for few days. When you are able, let us know more about your flying area. I would be interested in coming over sometime and fly with you.
Back to the top

Sailplane day next Saturday. We may relocate to a site where the winch might be less constrained by the narrow runway. If aerotowing takes place, we'll start at the field. Thanks to Mike Rice for adding a second solenoid to add a safety net against a solenoid failure. Mike also upgraded the foot switch a bit. The winch is now stored at the field in a job box, essentially permanently mounted to the big cabinet. Those who need the combination to use the winch please get it from John Hicks or Jim Ferguson. We will need to put a sign out sheet in there in case someone takes the winch to another location for use. It would be courteous to post that information here too so another person does not go out to use the winch only to find out that it has been taken to another location, or someone's home temporarily. At this time, it looks like the line will need to be replaced, but it will probably launch a 2M sailplane without breaking. Am looking for a good source of braided line.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

My flying location is nothing to write home about. The location is loaded with cheat grass, so you really need to wear gaiters to keep the darn things out of your socks and shoes. Most of the shrubs are gone thogh because the livestock have pounded to crap out of it over the years and much of the original shrubs and grasses have been nuked. A shame really. If there is much wind the air currents in the valley bottom can be a bit tricky. I think I'll look around a little to see if there might be a workable location up on Long Park or Carpenter Ridge. Both would be outstanding starting points for thermal flying. This can be a great location in the fall. In the spring the gnats eat you alive, and the summer temperatures can be unfriendly. Do you guys have a good spot on the Uncopahgre Plateau or up near Norwood or some other high country location where it is a bit cooler during the summer?. Summer slope flying by one of the mountain passes or something would be cool. Pun?
Back to the top

Gary, Last weekend you said something about getting a trainer out there this weekend. If it is still needed, let me know and I will bring mine. If not I may bring another plane.
Back to the top

Don't bother Mike, Thanks for the offer my friend.
Back to the top

Missed you yesterday Gary. Thermal conditions were a bit weak after lunch, but we did manage some launches, and one good thermal flight. Never got around to using the electric sailplane yesterday.

Back to the top

Decent thermals yesterday, but windy enough to get downwind too far too quickly. Still a bit over 30 minutes with 4 climbs to altitude. The recliner was handy. Otherwise, a good day, with one guest from Nucla (Len Spina) who got in some nice flights with a Tame Cat. Not a bad airplane. My Tiger Moth was not so good, Severe trim problems, but did get it back in one piece.

Back to the top

Nice to meet you Len, hope we can fly again soon.
Back to the top

Good flying with you fellows too. It was fun flying Len's Tame Cat. This airplane is still being made by "The World Models", on their website. It flies great and looks neat and is a perfect advanced .40 sized trainer for the club! Hint-hint! TheWorldModels.com

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.