Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Sailplane Talk; All things thermal and slope

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Randy are you going to be at field Sat. Would like to hook-up if possible. If not, ok enjoy seeing you.
Back to the top

I think so,John. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I cant believe it, had Sat. off,but my truck broke down today and had to be towed home. Guess I will be trying to fix truck Sat. Will miss it.
Back to the top

Yes , John I will be there with the Telley for tow! See ya, there at the field with the Tiger 60 also. I should be there around 09:00.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

The thermals were good on Saturday, enough to make me nervous about getting the Aspire back down. But, at 3:15, it turned to sink. No matter where I looked for more than 15 minutes, it was a downer. BIG time sink too. So at a bit after 3:30 I gave up and went home.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

While the field has been drying. I have been flying my 2m Sagitta at Cerise park on the soccer field south of the restrooms on the weekdays. Enough space for a 2m-2.5m hi-start. Getting kinda attached to the nice soft sod for a landing surface.
Back to the top

Yeah sod would be nice. We have previously approved the purchase of a good size roll of astro turf to roll out for sailplane landings. Of course, now we don't have the money, and without spoilers hitting the "aircraft carrier" will take quite a bit of practice. Not a bad idea though. I came across a video of a sailplane contest in Australia yesterday where they were using a good number of canvas tarps for landings. I guess there are some removable options we might consider for use at the field. I've been meaning to practice my spot landings anyway.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

highplains drifter,checked out your flying site at Cerise Pk.today. Was too windy to fly so I just walked the site.I, agree, looks like nice site, and lots of space. I also like the close hill on the west boundry that's in close proximitry to sight. Will be trying out soon.
Back to the top

Cool. Yep, that relatively barren hill slope looks like it could be a good thermal generator. What thermals I've stumbled into in just a couple of flying sessions there have been coming right down the center of the field from the north which seems to be the prevailing wind direction there. Maybe we can all hook-up out there some time.
Back to the top

Cool. Yep, that relatively barren hill slope looks like it could be a good thermal generator. What thermals I've stumbled into in just a couple of flying sessions there have been coming right down the center of the field from the north which seems to be the prevailing wind direction there. Maybe we can all hook-up out there some time.
Back to the top

while the weather and road conditions are iffy at the field,would be a good site to get together and see what we can do there. Also quick to get to.
Back to the top

I also love the grass,easy on the planes and no untangling the high-start line out of the sage brush.
Back to the top

Have been looking for new Winch line. The last time we tried to set the winch-up , we had problems with the line breaking. This could have been due to several factors–old deteriating line–line possibly binding in turn around pulley–brake not always working properly–inproper set-up. I have been looking for new-line sources. This seems like a good starting point towards eliminating problem. I know the line on the winch has been on there many years. The majority of clubs or sail-plane events are using braided nylon line. The source to purchase this line is Memphis net and Twine. Looking at the different strengths of line, seems as if their #18 would meet our needs. This is 165lb. test. A 4lb. spool is 4260ft. Seems affordable enough at about 25.00 I will be ordering soon.
Back to the top

Outstanding, John. It appears the winch is the way to go. Has anyone seen the new E-flite Mystique 2.9 meter RES glider? It looks pretty nice!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.