Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Flying Field Condition Updates

2wd car access good, some work done today.
Back to the top

pics[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

pics[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

pics[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

pics[br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

The access road just off 6200the Rd. Is still too muddy even for a 4 by 4. It is possible to drive around the mud but only with a high clearance vehicle.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

As of today, Oct 11, the road, including the county road across the bridge is in horrible shape. Jacob Edson says it is in the worst shape he's seen it in a long time. Since things had not completely dried out from the last downpour, this might take a while.

Back to the top

10/12/13 @ 1400
Back to the top

pics[br][br][br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

looks good. John , are you ready for some yanking and banking?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

So anyone going flying tomorrow
Back to the top

Certainly not at our field, unless you have a helicopter to get in there. If so call me and I'll go along to fly something out there, or just for the chopper joy ride.

Back to the top

it looks like we have the chance to get a culvert and dirt work donated to us to help with this problem however it may only last 2 years but I think its better then only being able to fly 1 month out of the year if u have a problem with this say so if not we will start on this as soon as we can get to it to due it

400 ' is high enough to get were you are going
Back to the top

If we got more moisture out there last night like we did here in Montrose, we are going to have a hell of a time waiting for it to dry out enough to work on it. I will try to talk to the Uncompahgre Valley Water Users to see if I can talk them out of a piece of the big green pipe they are using to put their laterals underground. We also need to talk to them because a culvert that dumps water into the canal will have some impact on the canal. They need access up that road too, so let's see what we can work out with them. The salts in the adobe soil won't eat the plastic pipe like it will the metal, especially metal that doesn't have an intact galvanized coating. If that doesn't work out, then I don't see that we have a choice but to use the free water heater made culvert and hope we get more than 2 years out of it. Mother nature has sure backed us into a corner.

Back to the top

James and went out to the access road this morning to take a closer look at the situation. While we were there, we had some light rain and within a very short time, less than it took my fleece jacket to get wet through, we had a lot of water running off the hills to the east of the access road. Within maybe 20 minutes or less, our special little pond there had risen maybe 2 inches and expanded quite a bit. We are getting water running onto the road from up to 6 drainages, including the road itself. Until the water gets backed up quite a bit, it does not drain into the canal. As it stands right now, it is clear that a culvert will not help us, especially when we need to stay within our BLM right-of-way boundary. As a result of mud washing down from the east, the ground on the east side of the road (uphill) is the same height as the road itself, and a spoil pile on the west side, from the water users cleaning out the Selig Canal, is acting as a dam to keep the water trapped on the road. That dam is outside of our right-of-way, but on the one the water users have. No matter how you look at this, the level of the road where the water ponds will have to be raised. Anyone know of a good cheap (free) source of fill material? If we can bring the driving surface up then we can instal a culvert and it will work. The first order of business will be a chat with the Uncompahgre Valley Water Users. I no longer have any contacts there, so if anyone in our outfit does, please let me know and we can talk to them together or you can take the lead. O' when the water level on the road gets high enough it is running north to the canal, where it is undermining the canal bank. It looks close to failing at this point.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.