Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Western Slope Soaring Society

So, the name definitely needs to be changed. Is it the Western - Slope Soaring Society or the Western Slope - Soaring Society? We are open for new name suggestions.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here are some very good articles on soaring from the Pikes Peak Soaring Society from Colorado Springs. http://www.ppssrc.com/articles/soaring_toc.html

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

wow that is a nice Site,Thank You Randy.
Back to the top

Thanks Paul, you're welcome.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

How about MMAA CO West Soaring Group? It is a little long, but I think it conveys the idea that it is formed under MMAA, but is a specialized group. CO West Soaring; MMAA? I can't seem to make a shot at a name that could make a good moniker like MMAAWSSS (Yech). Could we do Western CO Soaring Group of Montrose Model Aircraft Association? We need to be careful that we don't get into the situation where we need to do the DBA thing. I don't think we want to go there. That is my reason for the use of Group rather than Society. C'mon boys; more ideas?

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

How about the next time we have five more or more glider flyers show up at the field, a vote for the name is taken? And if the name has MMAA in it, then I assume it would have to be approved by the club.
Back to the top

Sounds fine to me. Paul Dufek and I re-maidened his motorized Chrysallis 2 meter glider today. We were at the Orchard City Municipal park and the weather was just right. Calm winds, clear blue skies with lots of sunshine and about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. He has a Rimfire .10, electric brushless motor, in it and it climbs just right at half throttle! Boy, does that thing soar! If you want a 2 meter glider that will out thermal most gliders, then this is the one for you. His DJ-Aerotech Chrysallis really needs spoilers. It just did not want to come down. This is with an open firewall with a folding propeller with no spinner. Lots of drag. It still would fly fast and slow down and core the lightest of thermals. If the good Lord is willing and the creek doesn't rise, I might have to get me one of these Chrysallis gliders. It will be great when Don Stackhouse makes a 3 meter version! It would make the perfect motor glider.[br] P.S. Here is the link in case anyone is interested: Chysalis 2-meter

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

HiPlainsDrifter said

How about the next time we have five more or more glider flyers show up at the field, a vote for the name is taken? And if the name has MMAA in it, then I assume it would have to be approved by the club.
Good to see you back, Bob.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I've been around, TowDog. I just can't seem to hook-up with glider flyers other than Jim from time to time. The last designated sailplane day was spectacular with great soaring and yet I was the only one at the field. If we are going to be serious about a glider group, we have to find a way to get glider flyers flying at the field together regularily . Nice to see ya got the Chrysallis 2 meter glider going! I know that there has been some thought in the past about Altitude Limiting Electric Sailplane (ALES) events. I believe it would be the only way to launch and keep the flying activity at our field at least initially. You can get a good but simple ALES device for around 40 bucks. I'm in for one IF at least two other flyers will commit also.
Back to the top

Sounds like a good idea. I'm in for the "CAM" altitude limiter. Here is a link to purchase. This is a neat way to ensure everyone climbs to the same altitude for a fair start. Competition Altimeter for Models

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Here is link to Esprit models. They sell the "CAM" units also for the Altitude Limited Electric Soaring events. This link has a manual that can be downloaded, for those who want to see what this device is all about. These units are very small and light, so they will fit in any size glider. http://www.espritmodel.com/soaring-circuits-competition-altimeter-cam-ales.aspx

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

We can fly gliders whenever anyone wants. We have another place to fly gliders and electric powered sailplanes up in the Cedaredge area off of grass, if anyone is interested.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Ok guys, I'm going to start off as a site monitor: I think this thread is about a western slope group. Maybe we should confine the conversation to that subject until we get some kind of resolution to the proposal. There is an existing thread for discussion of other glider subjects. On the subject of this thread; if the glider guys remain a subgroup of MMAA, I'm not entirely sure that the blessing of the members or Board would actually be required, but as a courtesy should be discussed with everyone. The constitution and bylaws are silent on this subject. Members of MMAA may live anywhere in the nation, so a broad west slope definition of the group does not seem to set up any conflict. Regardless, it is a subject that some of the members should certainly discuss with the Board at a Board meeting. If the activities stay within the guidelines of the existing MMAA and AMA rules there should be no issues with a group within MMAA. A legal entity (corporation) for MMAA is already in existence with an AMA Charter. I for one, will not join a separate group with no AMA charter and no requirement for AMA membership. if the intent is to form an independent group in the local area, then this website is not the appropriate venue for that discussion. There is already a site on RC Groups for western slope glider guiders, many of whom are not AMA members, or members of an organized club. To that degree, they provide essentially no support to the aviation modeling community at large. Strength in numbers you know.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

The reason I added the possibility of the Orchard City Municipal park as a possible flying site was in case there was power flying that day at the Olathe (Centennial) field or the field was too muddy after rainfall had occurred. I did not intend to make this a "break away" group from the association. Merely a sub-group.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

It could be named the MMAA-SIG (Soaring Interest Group).

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.