Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Western Slope Soaring Society

Excellent suggestion! The SIG concept is already firmly in place within the aeromodeling community and makes sense here. It also pulls us away from having to include western slope or western CO in the designation. I would certainly vote for this terminology. Any comments from Board members?

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

It seems at this time, there is Jim F., Paul D., Bob H., possibly Mike B., and myself that have E-powered motor gliders. Is there anyone else that might be interested?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I think that Gary and Sabin may participate from time to time. Gary has that motor glider he bought from the Bob Dawirs donation (can't think of the name of it right now) and I gave Sabin that 2m Riser with the Spirit wing. Suggested that it might make a decent conversion. We'll see. We need to start somewhere, and even with the small number of people, we are still the only specialty group within MMAA. If we throw in slope flying too, then we've got all the folks you mentioned in your last post, except Mike B. I think if we got him a little air time on the slope he might latch on to it. Those nasty climbs back up the hill might be a deterrent though. We need to work on John C. a little to see if we can suck him in. I know that Len has a powered sailplane, but he's primarily a powered airplane sort. If we remain active, we'll eventually suck in a few more people. It's happened before in MMAA.

Back to the top

Here's a good link to the manufacturer of the "CAM" unit as well as other neat products he sells. www.soaringcircuits.com

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

So, does this mean that you guys may come over to Paradox Valley to fly with me next summer?
Back to the top

Sure thing! Just give us some latitude and longitude coordinates and we'll be there when you are! I heard from another club member, you might even know him, that Paradox valley would be a good place for some cross country sailplane soaring. Anyone up for that?

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Paradox has that long valley with a paved road down the center, and very little traffic. There are also plenty of decent landing spots along the way. Used to work over there quite a bit, and really love that area.

Back to the top

That would be a neat place to try out the cross country soaring challenge. An open convertible, jeep or truck would be fun to ride around in, chasing your sailplane on a road trip! Sign me up! Now, all I need is a big cross country sailplane.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

You know there are a number of non MMAA glider types that fly on the western slope. We know a few of them from the slope combat gatherings. Nw we need to figure out how to get them in the fold, so to speak.

Back to the top

Here's a pointer to the Western Colorado Slope thread in RCGroups. The problem is that many of the flyers that post there are adamant anti-AMA. But who knows…. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569160&page=406
Back to the top

All it takes is a little something like this to get started. TowerHobbies.com | Invalid Stock Number

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Probably not a bad deal. Did you watch the video? They fly it inverted, consecutive rolls, and hovering. Can you believe that last one? As is usually the case with sailplane videos, there are no views of it doing its glider thing.

Back to the top

Yes, I did. Properly trimmed, I'm sure it would thermal just fine. It appears to have enough power for the climb, which is great. This type of system would be perfect for the beginning pilot as it is ARF(Almost Ready to Fly) and it is relatively inexpensive for its good performance.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Take a look at Pg. 47 in this RCSoaring Digest magazine: http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/RCSD-2008/RCSD-2008-04.pdf It's an interesting article about building the glider guider population in a club. However, many of the tenants about that objective might also work for increasing the RC population in general.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.