Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Western Slope Soaring Society

= $1K a good investment. I beg to disagree. If I could have one model, and only one model, it would be a DLG and a nice one. I've had more flying time on one than anything else. My DLG and I are like brothers. I feel their pain when I land hard. I see others with dozens of airplanes, all seldom flown, all cheap and I just think that if they took the plunge and got good airplanes they would see the light that is one GOOD airframe >lots of bad ones. You don't need twenty airplanes when you have a good one you like to fly, whatever it is…try and master it… One you don't need to fix all the time, one that flies well, etc. Several new additions to the club spend thousands of dollars on all the latest models, and in soaring, you only need one. Learn that airframe and find the "zen." Many people have come up at regular flying sessions and marveled that most of the airplanes don't have motors to sustain flight. "How did they get so high" or the question of "does the wind make them go up" or "can you make it go up?" And the answer is magic - learn the environment and you can do it too. We are here to teach you the ways of flying on solar power, if you would like to learn.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Tippodriver said

Take a look at Pg. 47 in this RCSoaring Digest magazine: http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/RCSD-2008/RCSD-2008-04.pdf It's an interesting article about building the glider guider population in a club. However, many of the tenants about that objective might also work for increasing the RC population in general.
That's a good article, Jim. If one were to get some park flyers out to the field for a day and see what flying in a relaxed environment with no restrictions is all about, maybe we could have some new MMAA members. Maybe even some glider guiders.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

A guy just went 503 mph on the slope. Check it out on youtube. It set a new world speed record! It was with a Glider, no less! Who says, gliders are boring! Weldon Bruce Tebo K130 503mph - YouTube

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Well, I watched it and never did see the glider. Just the camera waving at the slope.
Back to the top

Look close, there , there is a super fast glider in there.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I think that I might have seen a quick flash of it. If he had just held the camera still instead of trying to follow, I think it might have been better. However, whether I saw it or not, that is quite an accomplishment.
Back to the top

Yes, the video seemed too fast to follow. It is amazing that a R/C glider can go that fast! Who would have thought it possible? Full size sailplanes aren't that fast.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

don't you love the sound of those slope gliders when they are moving that fast? The fastest DS I've actually seen was clocked at just over 125 mph. That was impressive enough, and that wicked sound was still there. I've never been able to perfect the technique. Amazing that the fastest rc planes are gliders.
Back to the top

Well, the work has begun on the Hanger 9 Super Cub.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.