Skip navigation

Helicopter Build - Minicopter Diabolo 700

I'm looking forward to flying the Diabolo now that its nearing a maiden flight! I don't think that its really anymore complex than all of the aspects of a plane. Only different. I'm setting up a plane , and I get lost. I'm finding myself looking at forums to figure things out. As far as this its really not that bad, and if I can do this then anyone can!
Back to the top

So another update is getting closer after some good progress today. I got the head re shimmed and got the head zero'd out up to the swashplate. I'll show this in my update tomorrow along with the explaination of the cyclic/pitch fbl setup program. Really not as complicated as it sounds Also I have the tail servo installed along with the tail linkage made to length. Also I'll show the programming and mechanical setup. Lastly, I added in one electronic item just in case. I installed an extra power lead up from with the motor/esc for a fan in case things get a little hot up under the canopy. The fbl setup should go pretty quickly and if so I will program the esc and run no governor for the first few flights for tail tuning. Then the final setting of the motor for backlash gear mesh can be done, and a no blade spool up can be attempted!! We'll see how far I can get. Anthony
Back to the top

Ok, I got the FBL setup now for the cyclic, pitch, and tail. It went fast and I forgot how easy it is now with the newer FBL software. First thing I had to do after binding a new reciever to my Futaba 8fg super was set my end points in the IKON FBL controller. Really for helicopters there is no need for a fancy TX since the FBL control does everything, and just needs an input from your TX. The Ikon just wants to inputs inside of its limits to operate correctly. I didn't take any pics of this, btw. Easy stuff. Then I started on zeroing out the cyclic servos so the servo horns would be at a right angle to the servo case. As you can see in the first picture there is a black plastic spacer under the swash. That is a nice spacer that Minicopter included to set your swash spacing and level. With the spacer installed, servo horns centered, and linkages set with the swash sitting firmly on the spacer my zero pitch is set for the swash. Second picture you can see a metal rod inserted into the head button running perpendicular to the main blades. This rod is used in conjunction with a pitch finder. To get zero pitch I mounted the pitch finder to zero and eye'd to the metal rod. Then adjusted the link from the swash to the main blades up or down to get zero(see picture 3). Then in picture 4 I added a second pitch gauge to the other blade also set to zero and adjusted its linkage from the swash until both blades were level together. Now with the swash spacer still installed the blades are at zero degrees of pitch. This is important as the blades spin they track each other perfectly, and if they are off it will cause poor flight characteristics. I'll check it again on the first flight and adjust if needed, but doing it this way seems to be perfect each time. Now to do fine adjustments in the software. The step before I did everything while unpowered after centering the servos. Now I checked everything while powered. I found the swash needed to dropped 1 point for each servo to get zero degrees at mid stick (picture 5). Pitch is next on the same screen of the software. I set pitch gauge at 14 degrees (my target max +/- pitch) and sight down to the metal rod (picture 6). Then in the software I add or take away pitch til the gauge lines up the best. After setting the pitch I checked that both positive and negative were equal which they were. Cyclic (aileron/elevator) is done the same way, but the software suggests setting it to 10 degrees. Tail was next. I made the linkage from the tail servo to the tail control arm so that were both at a right angle before. So in the software all I had to do was set the slider endpoints. This part is pretty easy if you take the time to make sure all the mechanics are correct. If the mechanics are off then the throws will be off with the swing of the servos, and strange things will happen. You will get uneven pitch making strange oscillations, and many other undesired characteristics of flight. Now only to finish. I still need to setup the esc, set the motor mesh, find a finally resting place for the RX pack, and do a final check of everything. If it goes right I can maybe do some powered tests tomorrow. I really want to take my time on this so nothing is over looked and causing a maiden crash before it even leaves the ground. Anthony[br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][br][
br][br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Just a few videos about the history of R/C helicopters, and full scale helicopters. Interesting to me and maybe to others. This one skip to 4:00 about advancement from a bell/hiller head design First person to fly inverted with a Helicopter Mike Mas To modern day top pilots like Kyle Dahl of California. One of the top 3 pilots of the world. This was from Ircha last weekend in the "One" competition where you have 7 minutes to put on the best show possible. Skip to 1:15 while they setup. He will be flying multiple models.
Back to the top

Well I have a few issues to figure out with the motor and esc compatibility now. After all of this I don't really recommend YGE esc's with how little data is out there and how different they are. Makes it very difficult to figure out issues with no support, and being a German company it makes it even worse. I found out that the Kontronik Pyro 750-560kv motor is a 14 pole motor, and they YGE doesn't really like 14 pole motors. While most motors this size are 10 poles. So the ESC switches power to each pole for each revolution, so my motor requires 4 more switchings pre revolution than a 10 pole. This is a problem because as the motor speeds up the esc will reach its maximum switch speed quicker than on a 10 pole motor. After crunching the numbers my setup should just barely fall under the esc swtch rate. Although, I will be limited to a 12s (two series 6s packs), and have no way with this esc to run 14s (two series 7s packs) because the higher rpm would exceed the esc's limit. Come to find out that these newer Kontronik Pyro Motors can only be ran at their full potential by one of these http://www.helidirect.com/electronics/brushless-escs/kontronik/kontronik-48161-cool-kosmik-160-hv-esc.html. Well, I'm going to try it out and see how this works! Anthony
Back to the top

Sorry, Anthony, this is WAY more complicated than flying fixed wing!

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Haha You might be right, and I might be switching over to only fixed wing myself after this build.
Back to the top

So… I might have to play with the pulse width modulation, and timing of the motor some more later. I got everything running correctly though. I spooled up the helicopter with no blades on the bench, and the software said I was right on target for my 3 head speeds of 1800, 1875, and 1950. Everything is smooth and consistant, but I'll see when I fly it for the first time. I'm afraid I might be stuck in governor mode with the esc really disliking this 14 pole motor. I've read quite a bit on it and I'm finding if I leave the throttle control up to the esc it won't work. So the Ikon will be doing the work, but I'm not quite sold on it, but it may not be worth the chance of fire. Its just going to a little harder to get the tail tuned in while fighting the governor jacking with the throttle. Either way I'll take this as a step forward. I'm just going to tidy up a few things and she is ready! Anthony
Back to the top

cool videos Anthony. I looked at the Kontronik ESC. My o' my, sticker shock. So at your mention of fire, do we need to replace our fire extinguisher at the flying field? I can't imagine going through everything you have on this build and taking any risks like that.

Thermals---I need thermals!
Back to the top

I don't think a fire extinguisher will be necessary. After doing a lot of research I'm sure everything will work properly. Come to find out there are some versions of this ESC that can't handle the switching rate that this motor requires, and this is what caused the scare. Strange that a high dollar ESC like this YGE has very little data supporting their product, or which product you actually have. Now that I know my ESC can handle the motor I can assure that it can take a lot more than the normal ESC out there. It can take many more commutator errors than any other ESC on the market and not release any smoke. On this matter, any electric motor (car/plane/helicopter) has the potential to go up in flames from the esc guessing incorrectly where the motor is with a sensorless setup. Just happened that my setup was starting to push towards the limit of the esc. Kontronik… for rich folk. Not me :) All in all, I don't think I'm taking any risk after doing my homework it. Had me worried for a while though! Anthony
Back to the top

Thank you Anthony for sharing the build with us. It certainly has opened up my eyes as to what is involved in getting one of these fine machines airborne.

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

Thank you guys for having me! This has turned out to be quite the project and too document, and more so than I thought. Its been a lot of fun sharing my fustrations, but really this has turned into a more diffucult than more project.
Back to the top

Well, as you could probably tell that I've been pretty lazy lately. I've been really close to completion of the Diabolo and a maiden flight isn't that far off. I think I've burnt myself out on building in the last year or two, and am finding it harder to get motivation. Also most like I don't want the build to end cause the stress of a maiden flight isn't exactly my favorite especially on an expensive build like this. So I went all out and built the antenna stand for the Futaba Fast receiver. Sometimes its tricky to get the antennas up and away from the carbon fiber that reflects radio signal. I have a Henseleit TDR that I really like the antenna design on, so I thought I could do something similar for the Diabolo. On the TDR in has 2 holes that will accept a plastic antenna tube, but with some heat you can bend the tube at an angle. Just like the TDR I bent some tubing. Next I used some closed cell foam that I ShoeGoo'd on the bottom of the anti-rotation bracket of the Diabolo. Then I poked a hole through the foam where I wanted antenna tubes to be. First Picture shows the results… Not too bad. Second picture show with the canopy on. Next thing I worked on was finding a place to set the RX pack. I wanted to place it just under the boom but I goof'ed up since the rudder servo sits there. So I decided to place it under the main packs… no big deal to throw another strap on the main packs to mount it there. Everything was tested so all the blades could go on. Crazy and sad at the same time that the build is now complete… Its been a fun build! So I finished putting the blades and lipo packs so I could weigh the beast. I knew it wasn't going to be crazy light with the beefy drive train and bigger motor/ESC choice. It ended up weighing in at 12 lb. 1.5 oz. It came in about 6 oz heavier that I wanted but I'll see how it flies at 1950. If it flies heavy I'll bump up the headspeed to 2000 to 2050 and it should still get a decent flight time. Since I didn't get to maiden it this weekend I'll try to maiden it after work sometime this week. Anthony [br][br][br][br][br][br]
Back to the top

Please, let us know when. We would like to see it. Randy

Onward and Upward.
Back to the top

I can. I will probably do it at a grassy field near my house since grass is very forgiving on a tip over. A maiden flight for me is only a hover about 4 feet up for 2 minutes, so its not too exciting. Then I'll go back through all the screws to be sure it will stay in the air without falling apart. Eventually as I gain confidence in the air frame and fbl settings to actually fly it around.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.